philryuh

Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on January 19, 2020)

BGA
Here's the info for the next round of giveaway!

Starts: Monday, January 6
Ends: Sunday January 19

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:
  • Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Create a topic
  • Refer a friend using this link: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/signup?referral (send this link to your friends and have them input your username under the referral section)
Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

Full rules here.

On a side note: Not completely in love with the image layout but just wanted to wish everyone a great beginning of the year 2020!

Thanks everyone for continuing to make this community a great one! And as always, which game will you be getting if you won?

4 points by philryuh - updated 12 hours ago | 119 comments | report | subscribe

GarishMan 10 days ago | 3 points[-]

Good luck ladies and gents.

Skurvy5 Supporter13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I’m back in for this giveaway! If I win I’ll go for the Norwegians expansion for A Feast for Odin. Unless I change my mind!

Marshwiggle92 Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

You are back in??? I guess I should say goodbye to my odds.... LOL

sdirrane Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Right?  We mide as well not even play, haha.

hoppities 9 days ago | 2 points[-]

I'll jump in on this one. If I win, I'll probably go for Quacks of Quedlinburg :)

Sliddell11 6 days ago | 1 point[-]

That’s the one I just picked up! Such an incredible game. 

philryuh Supporter8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Great game, and our last winner went with that too :)

neatbender 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Gloomheaven, here it comes. 🤓😛

Unfortunately, it's quite unlikely it will ever drop to the $60 limit lol

HooperGirl 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Everdell or Dinosaur Island

I'm looking into getting Everdell myself in the upcoming months :)

I love worker placements and I can't resist the cute factor. 😊

xldh 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Thanks for the giveaway! If I were to be randomly chosen to win a game, I would probably pick Wingspan.

I'm always rooting for the underdogs to win! xD

Beautiful game, and I'll likely get it too once the prices go down again.

90SecNick 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

If I win, I’m getting Scoville!

Welcome to the forum! If you go with Scoville, looks like you'd have a little left over to add on a smaller game haha

NicholasBrimer Supporter13 hours ago | 1 point[-]

I'm so excited for this website! I just found it but I absolutely love board games and have only the slightest idea on the endless games on the market! Hopefully this would help me start my route to new games. 

philryuh Supporter13 hours ago | 2 points[-]

Great to have you here! How did you find us by the way?

The only warning I should give is that you might end up buying more games than you thought from everyone talking about so many great games lol (it's true for me at least...)

NicholasBrimer Supporter12 hours ago | 1 point[-]

I was watching a video from the channel 3 Minute Board Games on YouTube. 

I know I'm worried! My wife bought me Catan for Christmas (years late I know..) and I've played that game more times than I can count, one of my favorites. There's been plenty of games I've had my eyes on the past couple years and these forums will only fuel my fire to add them all to my shelves!! 

Sliddell11 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

If I win I’ll probably go for Sagrada and Azul or Welcome to. 

Unless root is out by then I’d for sure pick that up!

I love Sagrada!  The dice and stained glass windows are pretty.  I think it plays well for various number counts too.

Sliddell11 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Thanks that’s good to know! Hopefully I’ll get it one day!

disom 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

Welcome to is by far my favorite "roll and write" game. 

Having played Azul and Sagrada, I prefer the former because of how restrictive it is and "hate drafting" is a wonderful thing.

Hahaha good to know! Sagrada looks amazing too. I like the dice and boards.

I've never played any roll and write games before so I wanted to make that my first!

prozzden 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

Clank Legacy!

Sure seems to be getting a lot of love after coming out.

nealkfrank 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

I have been taking a little break from posting here, the holiday season was busy and work picked up quite a bit too, so I am ready to go! Irish Gauge and Le Havre are tops on my list at the moment :) 

Bro get La Harve! That deal I told you about fell through... haha

nealkfrank 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

It is currently on my birthday list so here is hoping! My family is not super excited about gifting board games but I typically finagle it some how lol. 

Haha for sure, I hope you get it brother!

philryuh Supporter9 days ago | 1 point[-]

Great to have you back! Well at least your friend filled in for you & even won the giveaway lol

I like the price on Irish Gauge (~$34?). Amazon also says "only 14 left in stock"!

nealkfrank 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

It is good to be back and more active! Scott did a great job of representing Riverside well!

I like the price for it too and I like the simple actions but complex strategy of it! Capstone has not printed a ton of copies so it will be a hard game to get...

GarishMan 10 days ago | 1 point[-]

I very very much am going to get Castles of Burgundy 10th edition if I win. It is becoming my long lost love that I never owned.

How is CoB? I’ve never played it or really done any research on it.

GarishMan 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

Castles of Burgundy is one of those games that is ugly-ish, but after you play you can feel very satisfied that you accomplished something as you played. A player makes several decisions on any given round that all do positive things, but who can max out their positivity the best is the real question. You tensely wait to see if someone else is seeing what you see, or if they are eyeballing that object that you want. And you have more tension in that you need to roll to be able to get what you want. So it just feels like a big fun tension fest, edge of your seat tension.

It’s making me think of Agricola... pretty ugly/lame to look at but great choices and build up. 

disom 9 days ago | 1 point[-]

CoB is fantastic, if you like dry multiplayer solitaire Euro games. Those types of games are the general favorite in our game group. It's definitely one of Stefan Feld's best games (I would argue it's his magnum opus). 

It's fairly straight forward, you roll two dice and then take turns collection tile from a main board to place on your player board. Different tiles allow you to do different things, getting full sets of tiles get you points, and basically everything you do will score you points in some way. It's the quintessential point salad game.

Haha I love points. So pretty much no player interaction then?

disom 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Almost none. The only time other players could affect you is if they took a tile from the main board that you wanted. But there are so many things to do that it can't really ruin your long term plans. 

Hmmm interesting... I do like player interaction, but then again I also don’t like people messing me up...lol

Marshwiggle92 Supporter9 days ago | 1 point[-]

I don't enjoy it. But, I do think it is a good game. I traded my copy away. 

Good to know.  I haven't tried it yet.  It's been on my radar for years but it's so ugly I don't think I could handle it.  I was hoping the newer version would look better, but nope.

Oh yeah to Neal! Haha

What did you not like about it?

Several things. 

It made me decide I don't like point salads. 

It felt like I was doing the same thing at the end of the game as at the beginning. I could see a progression, but I couldn't feel it. 

It was fast enough at two players. But it was too long for what it was at now players, or at least I felt that way. 

Neal says he and his wife really liked it. So, there is that. And everybody I thought it to liked it. 

For sure. That’s all good to know though. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to play with Neal soon!

Tell me my feelings are wrong, after you've played. 

I’ll have to let you! I’m always interested in playing new games and this one sounds interesting!

Marshwiggle92 Supporter8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Good. Hope you can play and like it. 

Thanks me too,

Also, the 20th is my Birthday, so that'd be a winning this particular giveaway would be an awesome gift.

That would be amazing. I just gasp every time I get the giveaway results from Trent (especially with the repeat wins from @Skurvy5).

Skurvy5 Supporter9 days ago | 1 point[-]

I’m always so excited to see who wins too!

Marshwiggle92 Supporter9 days ago | 2 points[-]

I'm always hold my breath a little when I see my BGA notifications at the end of the GAW period. 

Haha what a great $60 add on to your gifts!

sdirrane Supporter8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Wouldn't be too shabby.  Especially since I'm trying to not buy any games this year (with one Kickstarter and possibly one Expansion exception).  

That’s a good idea. Just due to sheer number of games you already have?

sdirrane Supporter7 days ago | 1 point[-]

I actually don't have that many games compared to many people.  I just really like the games I have and want to make sure I have plenty of time to continue to play those instead of needing to find a way to get more new games to the table.

Sliddell11 7 days ago | 1 point[-]

That’s a great idea. For sure the trap to fall into is thinking you continually need new games when you haven’t even played out the other ones 

WadeB1977 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'll take another shot at this one but it looks like I have to average about 25 comments a day to compete...lol.  May the odds be in our favor.

Nealkfrank did win with 173, 2 giveaways ago! Haha 

If I ever win again I think I'll end up needing @skurvy5 's help picking my game.

Marshwiggle92 Supporter11 days ago | 1 point[-]

I can help you, with both game choice and address. LOL

“Hey Phil, how come my game is in El Salvador?” Lol

Lol. I have google analytics open every now and then to take a look at our traffic for the site. There's a cool option to see realtime update of our website visitors on a world map and every time I see a tiny dot in El Salvador, I know it's @Marshwiggle92 lol (I'm pretty sure you're our only user from there!)

Haha so cool. “There he is! That’s our guy!”

That is cool that you can do that. 

Yes, I imagine that in the only one from here. 

Is there much board game presence down there?

Nope 

That’s a bummer. Hopefully that changes for you!

There is one or two I play week sometimes. But it is mostly me and sometimes my wife. Hence my interest in games that work well at one or two players. 

For sure. I’ve noticed that becoming an interest for me as well. Mainly because it’s nice if I’m meet with one student or if it’s just me and my wife. Plus 2 player games are usually really fun and super interactive

Sometimes they can be too interactive for my wife. 

I can see that! My wife for sure loves take that games when playing with me...lol

Marshwiggle92 Supporter8 days ago | 1 point[-]

My wife likes it, unless it is one of those rare games that I *always* win. 

Lol. Funny enough it’s almost the opposite for us with certain games. She just destroyed me in Splendor the other night.

sdirrane Supporter11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Haha, awesome!

It is with joy and pure selfishness that I offer my services. 

Skurvy5 Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

I’m not very good at picking prizes!

philryuh Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

At least you can ask the facebook group haha. I ended up getting so many recommendations there on that one post I did yesterday. Still have to reply to a lot of them lol

AoBJoe 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

Did I miss the winner of the previous giveaway?

Marshwiggle92 Supporter13 days ago | 2 points[-]

I haven't seen an announcement yet. I hope that means I'm still in the running. LOL

disom 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

So you're saying there's a chance :p

Marshwiggle92 Supporter13 days ago | 2 points[-]

Maybe.... Of course, there is a possibility that they contacted somebody and are waiting on a response. 

BenjaminK 12 days ago | 2 points[-]

I don't have any messages, so it's not me everyone's waiting for :) 

Marshwiggle92 Supporter12 days ago | 2 points[-]

Nor I 

philryuh Supporter12 days ago | 2 points[-]

I know the results now (*evil grin*)

Reached out to the winner and I'll be posting once I get a reply. Let's just say it's someone new but active :)

Well,,, with that information I think I now who it is. 

I guessed right

AoBJoe 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

BTW - Love the Chronicles of Narnia. Silver Chair was one of my favorites. ;) 

Mine too

AoBJoe 11 days ago | 1 point[-]

Never would have guessed. 😉

Obviously not. Lol

AoBJoe 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

ME!!!!! Oh.... nope. Shucks.

disom 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'd really love to win so I can get my hands on Res Arcana.

This game looks so good.

disom 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

It just popped up on my radar after hearing it mention'd in Rahdo's top 10 of the year video. He said it was probably the best game of the year, but it wasn't for him because of the take that or possible take that the game has.

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

Depends what game is on sale haha I'm really hoping Imperial Assault is under $60. If not, then there are plenty of games I'd love, so we'll see what happens :)

Haha right? So hard to choose either a $60 game or many games that fit within $60 

BenjaminK 8 days ago | 1 point[-]

Yeah haha I always figure it's easier for me to buy a cheaper game on my own than a more expensive one. I still don't buy the cheaper ones very often, but it's still my thought process haha

I’m the same way! Pretty much anything over $30 I won’t buy for myself so the giveaway was nice haha 

It is really going up in price. I think it must be between printings.

BenjaminK 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Nooooo! I actually heard yesterday (after posting this) that it was out of print. I just hope it's between printings and not OOP, otherwise I may never get it haha

I have NO inside information. BUT I have a hard time seeing them not reprinting it. But they might do a second edition, with expansions with mandalorian content or something like that. 

I'd be on board for that!

Oh, and they will probably raise the price as well. ;-) 

Skurvy5 Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Fingers crossed for IA!

Fingers, toes, and eyes all crossed!

theDL 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

I'm thinking Viticulture!

Skyw3rd 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Get Tuscany along with it, it's a game changer. Literally.

theDL 12 days ago | 1 point[-]

Haha, well if I get the game I'll definitely give it a few plays before buying the expansion.

Good choice

Marshwiggle92 Supporter13 days ago | 1 point[-]

I suppose I might maybe win again sometime. At this point I'm thinking maybe a light to mid weight game. Maybe something like 

Everdell

Viticulture: Essential Edition

Or 

Architects of the West Kingdom

Of course, like always, my mind can change pretty quickly. 

You can't go wrong with any of those as long as you also get Tuscany for Viticulture.

At the moment I would lean towards Everdell. But, there is a good chance I would change my mind if I had to actually choose. 

I really like Everdell. It starts slow, and then it's combo city.

philryuh Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

You know, since it's @Marshwiggle92 we're talking about here, I wondered how Viticulture plays solo. Have you tried either solo for either Viticulture or Everdell?

I don't own Everdell, but my friend does. He says it's pretty straight forward but very difficult.

As for Viticulture, it's the easiest solo that I've played, very straight forward and you're trying to optimize. It's very nice as a solo game. The Architects solo mode kind of reminds me of it, but Vitculture is even more streamlined.

I do hear architects is very good solo. 

I've heard viticulture solos really well, especially with Tuscany. In fact, it might solo better than Everdell. But the art and potential combos on Everdell are really pulling me in.