This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

My top 10 solo games, 2020 edition.

Supporter

I just made a post of my top ten games of all time as of the end of 2020. Since I am primarily a solo gamer, my top ten solo games has a lot of similarities with my top ten games of all time. However there are a few differences, so I did decide to share that as well. My post where I break down my general list can be found here

As with my top ten games list, I made this list using Pubmeeple. Also, these are where the rankings currently are. There is a tomorrow I may feel differently about it. Without any further ado, here is my list.

My number 10 is #Deep Space D-6. This is quick and fun dice allocation game. It could legitimately be called Star Trek the Dice Game. If I do have a complaint it is that it is maybe about 5 minutes longer than I wish that it would be. That being said, the different ships do provide nice and meaningful variety, and it is still a quick little game. It is super out of print, but it is coming back to kickstarter soon, along with the expansion, #Deep Space D-6: The Endless Expansion. I would say that the expansion is almost essential.

#Race for the Galaxy comes in at number 9. This came in at number 8 on the general list. I feel sorta bad for about this one. I am counting the Keldon A.I. project as a solo experience, and it really is just playing a computer opponent. That being said, I have played the native solo variant that is found in #Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm, and I think it would rank the same with that variant.

At the number 8 slot we find #Scythe. This came in at number 6 on the general list. I do like this solo. However, the a.i. just isn't as compelling as human players.

Number 7 is #Root, I don't know why it is 7 on this list and 9 on the general list, but that is the way that it came out. I do really like this game. But I think it will probably jump around a lot until I am more familiar with it.

Number 6 is #Spirit Island. It was number 7 on the general list. I am still really enjoying it. But, I do think that there is something about it that feels just a little bit steril, and I am worried that it will continue to fall. There was a time when this was my number one solo game of all time.

Number 5 is #Star Trek: Frontiers. This was my number 5 on the general list, and honestly, from here on down it is just a copy of my other list.

Number 4 is #Pax Porfiriana

Number 3 is #Pax Pamir (Second Edition)

Number 2 is #1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties

And, finally, at number 1 #Navajo Wars

Honestly I am not surprised that my two lists were that close together. That is only to be expected when most of my games are solo games. 

Games that I have acquired but not yet played that may make my solo list next year include:

#High Frontier 4 All

#Pax Emancipation

#Pax Viking

#Pax Renaissance: 2nd edition

#Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain

#Conquest of Paradise

#Cloudspire

#Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

#Underwater Cities

#The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

LikeFire Like| 24 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

41 days ago

Thanks for sharing. As playing solo helps me get more game play in and is now part of my consideration for more weightier games to add to my collection, I find lists like this helpful, especially with brief explanations like yours.

#Scythe is on my wishlist, and #Wingspan is under the tree.

My only solo games were all bought this year and I like them a lot, even with just 2-3 plays each: #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale #Terraforming Mars and #Paladins of the West Kingdom. Oh, forgot #Sagrada which we got two years ago. That's good,  too.

Supporter41 days ago

Soloing makes so that I can play so much more than if I waited until I had others to play with.

Premium User41 days ago

You can solo almost any game if you wanted lol

41 days ago

Such as Splendor, Forbidden Sky, the entire Century trilogy, Villainous... I've solo'd all of those. Mulitple times. My son (and probably my wife) think I'm crazy doing it.

But I don't mind.  I enjoy it anyway.

Premium User41 days ago

I know my friend has for sure played #Disney Villainous multiple handed just to learn the characters. I thought he was crazy for that so I won't tell you what I'd call you LOL.

But seriously I am to the point where I get the appeal. I used to do that when I first got a game just to learn the rules to be able to teach Sarah later. Of course this gives me an "unfair advantage" according to her so I've stopped haha

40 days ago

I do it for a few reasons: 1. To learn the rules of the game to better teach it as my household won't sit through a 10-minute Watch It Played video; and 2. To better myself at the game (is that an 'unfair advantage'?); and 3. To get more game time when no one else will play. Works for me.

Premium User39 days ago

All totally rational reasons as far as I'm concerned :)

Supporter39 days ago

That's great.

Supporter42 days ago

Great list Chris! Love a lot of these games too. I'm going to work on posting mine here as well. Lots of competition this year for me. 

Supporter41 days ago

Dunno! We will see what pub Meeple says!

Premium User41 days ago

In pubmeeple we trust

Supporter41 days ago

Looking forward to seeing yours.

42 days ago

Thanks for the list, looks like Ill have to look into some of these

Premium User42 days ago

Yes indeed there is a lot of overlap here. What percentage of your gaming would you say comes solo? 

Supporter41 days ago

I don't know, in terms of actual games played, maybe 65%-70%.  In terms of actual gameplay it is probably closer to 85%-90%.

Premium User41 days ago

Wow that's a ton. I don't think I could ever get to that point. I enjoy the social aspect too much for that 

Supporter41 days ago

I do love them both.

Premium User42 days ago

Great list, most of them I haven't played but have seen vidoes.  I definitely agree with #Scythe being much more fun with others that solo.  As for my current list:

#Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island , #Paladins of the West Kingdom , #Architects of the West Kingdom , #Viscounts of the West Kingdom , #Spirit Island , #Clans of Caledonia , #Rococo: Deluxe Edition , #Maracaibo , #Teotihuacan: City of Gods , #Trismegistus: The Ultimate Formula , #Dinosaur Island , #Wingspan , #Viticulture: Essential Edition are all in the running.  

I think I'd rank them:

1. #Paladins of the West Kingdom still remains one of my favorite games and a great solo experience

2. #Wingspan is easy to play and a fun solo challenge though I lose on the more challenging levels most often

3. #Gloomhaven I forgot to add this above but remains a great solo game and highly engaging.

4. #Trismegistus: The Ultimate Formula has a good solo mimicing the game with players fairly well.  I'm been pondering getting this to the table again soon.

5. #Clans of Caledonia has a challenging solo and great gameplay and I think I should have put it at #2 or 3 but messed up a little.

6. #Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is just a great game and loads of fun to play despite my dying on the island 90% of the time.

7. #Viscounts of the West Kingdom - is a great game and it might get ahead of Paladins at some point but I will have to see as I get more solo plays under my belt.

8. #Rococo: Deluxe Edition has a good and challenging solo experience I look forward to playing again.

9. #Teotihuacan: City of Gods gets a slight edge here and I think it's solo is a little better than others.  

10. #Maracaibo has a good solo mode that was challenging but can also include the campaign.  

As for games I think might sneak in next year's list

#Obsession , #Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion , #The Gallerist , #Raiders of Scythia , and possibly #Crokinole if I find myself flicking discs alone. 

Supporter41 days ago

I really am excited about giving Robinson a try.

Premium User41 days ago

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I've played the first scenario about 20x and don't think I've ever won. So if you unlock some nice tips for me I can use them!

Premium User42 days ago

I love the solo in #Teotihuacan: City of Gods! I'd probably put it above #Wingspan solo personally. 

Premium User41 days ago

I agree with the solo of #Teotihuacan: City of Gods being innately better. I think setup and teardown is faster for #Wingspan allowing me to play 3-4 games in the time I can play 1 game of Teotihuacan.  But as far as pure solo play I agree.

Premium User41 days ago

Yeah I'm with you with that.  That games a beast to set up

Linked Topic