I recently watched Pixar's Soul and later on showed Up to my parents. And both films are great at building up to that emotional payoff moment. It's the moment that makes the journey completely worth it, and the moment that you picture when you want to share it with others.
So I wanted to ask, what are some specific moments in board games that make you want to share that experience with your friends?
Here are some that come to mind for me!
#The Quest for El Dorado
- Satisfaction of building your deck that pays off - You intentionally set yourself back by moving slower than others to build up proper travel gears. You're completely behind all other players and you end up drawing 10+ cards into your hand and proceed to race across the jungle while mowing down everything in your path
- Being that evil person - You place your meeple on the space that blocks off the ideal path, forcing everyone to go around you
- Taking the risk - I'm always a risk taker when playing games. If I can make up to 4 guesses, I'll almost always try to go for that rather than playing it safe. And if it succeeds, great!
- Game over on the first turn - Happens surprisingly often when the clue-giver has a very unique way of thinking...
- Why pay for it yourself when you can leech off of others? - Flipping multiple industry tiles by using my opponent's resources and then dramatically increasing my income for the next turn? Sweeeeeet :)
Now that I think about it, the type of highlight moments I enjoy really shows my preferences when it comes to gaming 😁