philryuh

Board Game Sweepstakes (Winner on 9/22/19)

BGA

Our $60 board game giveaways are back! Ends Sunday on 9/22, 9pm PST, limited to U.S. residents only (see below for some explanation on this)

And the best part? Two winners = better odds for everyone!

You will get 1 additional entry for each contribution to Board Game Atlas. Here are some ways to contribute to our community:

• Make a post on our forum or write an article! (click "Create Post" on the forum page and it'll give you a choice of either forum post or writing an article)
  • Comment/reply on posts/articles
  • Refer a friend to make an account on Board Game Atlas using this link: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/signup?referral (send this link to your friends and make sure they input your username under the referral section)

Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions so let's see how far we can go with this first round of giveaway! (I'll send out a mid-giveaway update to highlight your contributions).

You can see the full rules here.

And if you're crazy/generous enough to up the competition, you can share our giveaway announcements:

Lastly, it's unfortunate but this giveaway is still limited to U.S. residents only.  Sweepstakes laws heavily vary across different countries and I'm not informed enough to make it available internationally. I started reading up on the different laws to see the possibilities of opening it up to our international friends in the future, so I ask for your patience in the meantime! (Please feel free to PM me if you have some helpful tips on how I could go about this). Thank you!

6 points by philryuh - updated 59 minutes ago | 44 comments | report

Skyw3rd 10 days ago | 5 points

I appreciate you doing those giveaways. As a guy who usually uses websites but doesn't really contribute, this really inspires me to put myself out there.

I really like your price tracking, but one thing I'll say is that many times Card Haus comes out with the cheapest price, but then the shipping is $13 which cancels out it being the best deal. Is there some way you can account for shipping prices when tracking prices? Many times I've saw a "Historical Low" and it turns out it's not even close once you factor shipping.

nealkfrank 10 days ago | 4 points

I am the same way! I tend to not put my opinions out on the internet (scary place you know) but I am definitely more inspired to contribute some opinions, especially in the coming weeks because of this! Gotta get my hot takes out there. 

philryuh 10 days ago | 2 points

Awesome! You know, to this day, it bothers me for a few minutes when I get downvoted on reddit after sharing my thoughts haha. Great to have you here and please give lots of feedback (a good post to do it on is here: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/sQHXLkCDAL/feedback-friday-9619) or you could also make a forum post with the flair "BGA Feature Request"

philryuh 9 days ago | 2 points

I've always been a lurker in any online communities/news I joined too, and never really contributed to one until working on this site with Trent haha. I'm glad you're here and hope you win one! (will be running these giveaways for as long as possible unless we run out of funds!)

The price tracking definitely needs work, and Trent and I both don't like where the historical low feature is at either (it's bad that I can't trust it and that I can't share with others right away with confidence). We recently brainstormed a lot on how to improve each of our existing pages/features, so you should be able to see some noticeable improvements all around in the coming weeks :)

jodehi 10 days ago | 3 points

I love that you guys do this. To be fair, I only go to your site on occasion, but every time I am here, it appears to be improving. The community and the games that I search don't have much there, but it's nice to see the articles and that you are still trying to keep it going. I hope the numbers are increasing. Keep up the great work.

Trent and I are constantly flooding up our list of "wish features" or improvements for the site, so there's no room to stop! (unless we run out of funds haha)

And thanks for coming back, every comment/post means a lot because it helps me know it's not dying xD

epage 16 hours ago | 1 point

Do you all publicly track your wishlist? Or even better, develop the site publicly (ie open source)?

I'd be curious to see what ideas are brewing :)

philryuh 16 hours ago | 1 point

No, but we do share what features are coming periodically in the forum (I typically share this on our Friday posts like this one: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/Dcy6353a2m/feedback-friday-91319). Trent (u/trentellingsen) is the developer by the way!

Some of the latest additions were the ability to make forum posts with polls or images. Also allowing users to play youtube forum posts directly on Board Game Atlas, instead of it directing you to the youtube page. Will be making a small addition to highlight the community's top contributors. Trent will be focusing more on the game pages for a while I believe.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here :D

EDIT: Feedback Friday post is also for users to contribute by making any sorts of suggestions, praises, complaints, etc. so let us know what's on your mind!

VGmaster86 10 days ago | 3 points

Just starting out with board game collections. 

I'm always on the search for new games that are enjoyable no matter how many players are playing. Would Be awesome to win to play more games and try out different styles. 

Referral friend : Skyw3rd

Glad to have you! What do you think you'd pick if you were the winner?

Skurvy5 10 days ago | 3 points

Awesome! I enjoy the price alert notifications from this website. Thanks for the cool giveaway and good luck to everyone!

philryuh 9 days ago | 1 point

Glad you're enjoying the feature! Let us know if you have any comments/complaints about it haha

Good luck! Any game in mind by the way?

Skurvy5 8 days ago | 1 point

Oh I have lots of games in mind! Part of it would depend on how the prize is awarded. 

sdirrane 9 days ago | 3 points

So does this count as an entry?  I hope I win!

Yes, yes it does! xD

There's no limit to the number of entries so the more you participate, the better your chances! Any idea on which game you'd get?

sdirrane 9 days ago | 2 points

Oh man so many good choices.  "Rise of Fenris" is high on my wish list because I love Scythe.

Nice. I still haven't had a chance to play Scythe

sdirrane 7 days ago | 1 point

It's one of my favorite games.  Definitely find a way to check it out.  

BenjaminK 9 days ago | 3 points

Thanks for the giveaway! I've subscribed to many a board game-related email list, and I must say I really like yours, and I actually look at it, too haha Thanks for the content!

You're welcome! Glad you're liking the email, cause we try not to spam haha. Enjoy the contest and wish you the best!

BenjaminK 9 days ago | 2 points

Well, you're doing a good job of not spamming :) I'm also digging the resources on this site. Glad I found you guys.

prozzden 9 days ago | 3 points

Great contest!  

I haven't logged on here in awhile, is there a way to import your collection from BGG?  

Glad you like it, there will be plenty to come so I hope you win at least one! (I've never won a sweepstakes in my entire life so don't be like me haha)... And yup, if you hover over your username on the top bar, the last option on the dropdown will show "BGG Import"

HooperGirl 9 days ago | 3 points

Thanks for the giveaway!  I haven't seen this website before, so I'm glad to discover it!

Glad to have you on board! Any game in mind yet? :)

HooperGirl 9 days ago | 1 point

I just looked through my wish list and maybe Stone Age?  Always hard to pick just one!  ;-)

Oooh I've been looking into a lot of worker placements I can play with my wife (she hasn't played one before). We have Viticulture, but I thought it might be too much to start off with, so I was thinking of Raiders of the North Sea, Stone Age, and couple other ones

HooperGirl 8 days ago | 1 point

I enjoy Agricola, but Stone Age is a simpler worker placement without as much setup.  I've played it online a lot at BoardGameArena.com  Try it there for free!  I haven't played the physical version, but I think it would be a good gateway worker placement for her to try.

I want to try Raiders of the North Sea too.

Amanda

philryuh 8 days ago | 1 point

I recently made an account on there! Just wish they had a larger catalog of games :(

I'll definitely try out Stone Age on there.

R0land1199 10 days ago | 2 points

Nothing like the possibility of winning free stuff to get peoples attention.  I'm hoping it starts building up even more of a following for this site.  You guys have done a lot of hard work and deserve some rewards. :)

Thanks for sticking around :)

xldh 9 days ago | 2 points

Thanks for the giveaway.

Thanks for joining! Any idea which game you'd get if you won?

xldh 9 days ago | 2 points

I would most likely pick St. Petersburg 2nd edition or Wingspan.

Sircuddlewuddle 9 days ago | 2 points

This is nice

Glad do have you!

pumpysmom 2 hours ago | 2 points

Thank you for such a great giveaway! I love your site!

philryuh 59 minutes ago | 1 point

You're welcome! And great to have you on board :D

Any idea which board game you'd get if you were to win?

TwinbroGames 6 days ago | 1 point

Sweepstakes laws heavily vary across different countries

had the same difficulties with our giveaway, in germany you're of legal age 18 in other countries 21 and the list goes on. Nice giveaway though to keep people encouraged! 

philryuh 41 hours ago | 1 point

Thank you! How did you get around your case? Did you just bump up the minimum age requirement to whichever country had the higher number? Also, are there are any other significant differences that come to mind?

I've been looking up Canada's laws and it seems like it won't be too difficult of a process to include them in the next giveaway. Apparently does not allow contests that are purely random/without any skills. Needs to include a "technical skill question" (typically math related) that will serve as a minimum qualification of some sort to enter. Seems odd to me, but I guess it won't be too much of a hassle if it means we can extend our coverage for more of our users to enjoy the giveaway.

TwinbroGames 36 hours ago | 1 point

I wrote in the rules "must be of legal age to enter the giveaway". I then asked the winner about his birthday and country of residence. About random giveaways, why is it random if you have to actively write in this forum to enter? The winner of every giveaway ever is chosen at random but that has nothing to do with entering?! Have to read into that...

philryuh 23 hours ago | 1 point

Great question! And it's one that I'm still wrapping my head around because sweepstakes laws aren't very clear cut. One distinction it seems to make is that each entry must have equal opportunity/weight, hence the random drawing. In the case of sweepstakes that allow multiple entries (you can see this on just about any sweepstakes on social media these days that allow different options for additional entries), it increases your chances but each entry is still regarded equal. DM me if you'd like to talk more about this with me. Sure could use more insight if you have experience in this.

epage 16 hours ago | 1 point

Thanks for running this!

And to preempt the question of which I'd get, probably the first on this list but who knows what I might do on an impulse:

• Five Tribes: haven't played it in years but I remember really liking it
  • Robo Rally since it has the best theme of the programming games I've seen
  • Pax Pamir 2E (if I could make up for the difference) is beautiful with a theme I'm fascinated with but I worry the game play and length won't work for my group but gifts are a great time to splurge :)
  • Kingdom Builder is a nice uncomplicated game
  • Gold West intrigues me with its mancala
  • Clans of Caledonia seems interesting
  • Isle of Skye seems interesting

philryuh 14 hours ago | 1 point

Good luck! :D

I'd love to get some of those in the list.