Online gaming in 2021+ Do you see yourself...

Partner
I will likely play more online gaming than I did in 2020(7 votes) 54%
I will probably play less online gaming than in 2020(3 votes) 23%
I have never really tried / desired / heard of online gaming and don't intend to start(1 vote) 8%
I’ll play online if my group does, but won’t seek it out (2 votes) 15%

13 votes

playing more or less online gaming in 2021 and beyond?  I'm talking about gaming sites like Board Game Arena, Yucata, Boite a Jeaux, Tabletop Simulator, Tabletopia, Board Game Play and all the rest. 

I have friends who think that the surge in online board gaming was a fad, and that the numbers will decrease, while others think it will be even bigger as more and more gamers discover the online sites. 

Your thoughts? 

LikeStar| 38 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

4 months ago

I bought and gifted my friends TTS. People moved, covid is still around, vaccines are going to take a while to get to everyone. Online is going to happen more this year

Partner4 months ago

I have two nephews on opposite ends of the country for me -- Outside of once a  year visits, TTS has been a god send for us -- we have pretty regular gaming nights, get to catch up on family, play some of the hottest games or classic ones we missed and all from the comfort of my home! Thanks for responding

Supporter4 months ago

My group and I think that online gaming is a poor facsimile of the real thing. There are some nicer aspects (namely being more flexible with start times) but mostly we agree that in person is just so much better. 

Supporter4 months ago

Agreed, I only did online out of need.  Now that I don't have that need I'm not likely to play online.

Supporter4 months ago

If I'm going to play online I'd rather play a video game. And my friends would too. 

Supporter4 months ago

I get that.  I don't do any online video gaming.  But (although unlikely with my gaming group) if we can't get back together for an extended period of time I'll probably do more video games this time around than I will hit up online board games.

Supporter4 months ago

We don't do anything intense. Usually just playing Civ 6 or something. 

Supporter4 months ago

Fun!  I play Civ V on occasion but never online.

Partner4 months ago

Great points -- I'm on the other side of the debate as I've been playing asynch games pretty steadily for a few years now, but I'm curious to hear the other side. I get that a lot of people will just geaux back to video gaming, makes sense. Thanks for responding! 

Supporter4 months ago

To answer your question-I think it was out of necessity. 

Premium User4 months ago

In person is definitely better but lying on your front with a tube sticking out of your throat for 2 weeks is worse! ;)

I do agree with you though.  I will be happy to be in person again.  It's an acceptable substitute for now.

Supporter4 months ago

Oh of course. I've only had a max of two people over for game night and always masked and as distant as possible. 

Premium User4 months ago

That's the way to do it.  We finished off the last two games of our Clank Legacy campaign in the summer when things were clearer in much the same fashion.

For now we're sticking to online but I agree, it's not as good, but it's not THAT bad either.  

Partner4 months ago

Thanks! I was talking more "+beyond" in other words, life after COVID. Will people who have had an introuduction to asynch / online board games continue? Or was this borne out of necessity? Thanks for the responses! 

Premium User4 months ago

Ah I get you.  I think I'll play probably the same amount of in person games as we used to but now we can through in a digital session on the spur of the moment.  At least that's my guess.

Supporter4 months ago

I think I kind of just responded this particular question above.  Let me know what you think.

Supporter4 months ago

Online gaming just doesn't appeal to me. I really don't see that changing this year.

Partner4 months ago

Totally understand and thanks for responding

Supporter4 months ago

You are welcome. It is a great question. 

4 months ago

I think it very much depends on Covid stuff, our game group have been very cautious so haven't met up since March and have been playing online weekly instead. It has been great although some members haven't been able to come to the online sessions so I definitely miss some people. I think as long as there is a significant risk we will continue to stay away from in person gaming.

Supporter4 months ago

I voted I will play less, but that's true beginning May 2020.  I did a lot of online gaming in March and April but was able to start getting my group back together in May.  I thought online was a great option during that time, but I prefer in person gaming and wouldn't really look closely at online gaming anymore.

Premium User4 months ago

I voted more but really it depends how Covid goes.  If it is safe again then probably more in person gaming than in 2020 but less than in 2019.

Now that we have tried pretty much all of the online services though I think we'll still have the odd session online.  Especially for one of the people that moved away last year.

4 months ago

Yeah, it's been really nice to use it to play with my uni friends regularly. Usually we'd meet up 3-4 times a year and play games in person but we've been catching up every couple of weeks during the Pandemic which has been great. Even more so since we started a DnD game

Supporter4 months ago

This is a nice benefit - involving people that don't live  close by any mode. 

Premium User4 months ago

Yup.  Like I said, now that we have tried it we will be happy to hop in to it now and then.  The learning curve is pretty much done with.

Supporter4 months ago

I feel like as a culture board gaming will move back to in person more and more.  In fact, I think all this online stuff will encourage people to want to play more in person (if possible), once they feel they are ready (thankfully I'm at this point with my goupr).  Online was short lived for me because I had no options.  Now if I had some people I wanted to play with that lived far away I can see it being more popular with them.  But if your group lives locally why opt for online over in person during normal/comfortable times?

Partner4 months ago

Your point crystalizes what I've been thinking.  For some people like me, online has been a substitute but one that I think will supplement my regular gaming.  Making friends with people from different forums and FB groups and scheduling games online with people half a world away is just too easy now. So, yep I'll get my regular game night started eventually but I'll also have my regular computer game nights and asynch games, too. Thanks for the response!

4 months ago

Definitely more for me. I just played a session yesterday (: 
A few of my friends got TTS! I'm really excited to be able to play with them. Covid will still be around for a while, so I'm sure my friends and I would feel safer playing online as well. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to meet physically to play, but we don't exactly have a good playing space/table at the moment anyway. The FLGS we used to play at was the best midpoint between members of our group, and now it's been closed permanently, as far as I know. 

Generally, I like both - I don't prefer one or the other. Perhaps I'm just glad I can even play at all.
I can see my friends opting for online gaming for our campaigns though. Easier set up time, no need to scramble for a meeting location, no need for gas money, comfort of your own home, etc. And now, it's safer. That's a win in our books. At least for now. 

Partner4 months ago

Agreed! In person at your FLGS or at a con or game night is the goal