This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

2020 Predictions - My Wife and I's #1 Game for Two Players

Owner

I'm writing this to get some recommendations/predictions from everyone!

Some of you may remember but my wife's first #1 game was #Catan from 2019 Thanksgiving, which opened her eyes to the world of board games. Then it got overthrown a few months later by #Viticulture: Essential Edition and #Tuscany: Essential Edition (our favorite game to play together). Since then, a few games came close but it hasn't happened yet.

Here are the other games in our collection that came close:

• #Root - We still need to get in games vs. bots and see how we like it. She also wants to try out the other factions (only played as the Cats so far). I predict 2p gameplay won't ever reach the point of overthrowing Viticulture/Tuscany as our #1.
  • #Clans of Caledonia - This is very close, but hasn't happened yet. There's still a possibility after repeat plays but I suspect it will fall short of becoming our #1. If there's a great expansion in the future that's on par with how much new content Tuscany added to Viticulture, that would be perfect.

So give me your predictions! Do you think any of these games below in my wishlist may overthrow it? If not, are there other games out there that you think will accomplish this feat?

Like| 29 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter10 months ago

I have not played it, but, I will say that #Brass: Birmingham will top it all for you.

Partner10 months ago

We have the original Brass, and we very much enjoy it when we have a 3rd player.

Supporter10 months ago

I hear birmingham is better at 2 than the original was. 

Owner10 months ago

That's good news :)

It's going to be very tempting to get the deluxe edition haha. I should be wise and upgrade after seeing how it goes though. @nealkfrank did you get the deluxe?

10 months ago

I did go with the deluxe, the iron clays are worth the extra couple smackers!

Owner10 months ago

That's awesomeeee

10 months ago

I will also be using the iron clays for other games currency, all of the guys I have played with too have really enjoyed them. 

10 months ago

What's different about the deluxe? I find it varies a lot between games. I usually don't go for it, but sometimes I just have to.

Owner10 months ago

I believe it's all just component upgrades, namely the iron clay "poker chips" used for currency. Since I didn't go for the Kickstarter, I'd probably just purchase the regular edition in retail. The iron clay will be a nice upgrade if we end up loving the game. You can take a look at them here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/brass-an-industrial-revolution/posts/2165288

10 months ago

Oh baby, that is nice. Here's one I found when I looked on my own as well: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/4289515/brass-birmingham

That definitely looks like a well-produced game.

Partner10 months ago

The Iron Clays are beautiful, but since I have a good set of GameKnight Chips I could talk myself out of them.

Owner10 months ago

I'm thinking about doing something similar for metal coins, where I might get Scythe's metal coins and use them for Viticulture and Clans of Caledonia.

10 months ago

Do you keep them separate from your games and use them for any game that uses money?

Partner10 months ago

Yes, we have some of those plastic standing chip holders (from thrifted Texas Hold'em sets) and keep them near the table. Like this: https://amzn.to/33n8lUH

10 months ago

Pretty nice setup!

Supporter10 months ago

Iron Clay's come in the deluxe edition. 

Come on @philryuh. You know that is what you want. 

Owner10 months ago

Honestly, it's highly likely I'll get them if we like the game. Also, it probably would've been my first ever Kickstarter if it had come around where I am now in the hobby. 

Supporter10 months ago

I can see that, do you remember what it went for on Kickstarter?

Owner10 months ago

Looks like it went for $60 + $7 shipping. In my opinion, that was an awesome value.

Supporter10 months ago

That is pretty good. That is less than I am paying for #Pax Pamir (Second Edition) for instance, and I haven't even decided if I will spring for metal coins or not.

I do wish I would have jumped on the Iron clay kickstarter that Roxley had a few years ago. I think those chips were pretty good value.

Supporter10 months ago

Of those you listed I think the only one that will come close would be Concordia. 

10 months ago

This is the one that appeals to me the most, so I'm inclined to agree. Isle of Cats definitely looks fun but may not provide the same rewarding experience as one of the heavier games. I guess it depends what you're looking for, though.

Owner10 months ago

I'd say that's likely too. I think Anna and I definitely favor games with more decision space. Games with engine building elements also tend to go well for us because we like the sense of progression.

10 months ago

Yep that's my wife as well! I like a lot of different types but she definitely enjoys the feel of an engine builder! It helps that those often are not very confrontational, which she definitely does NOT like, haha.

Owner10 months ago

I think Concordia and Brass are the biggest competitors. It'd be a big surprise if Agricola came on top but we'll see! Also, how do you personally feel about Concordia?

10 months ago

I think at 2 players, Concordia will be the sweet spot for you. I think the other games are similar enough to other games you have played (besides Brass) that it will make Concordia stand out gamplay wise. 

Owner10 months ago

So you're prediction is Concordia over Brass? Hopefully we'll get to experience both this year :)

Also, now that I have your attention: should I go with #Concordia or #Concordia Venus (Standalone)?

10 months ago

I am predicting Concordia over Brass, I think you and your wife appreciate smooth mechanics and Concordia does that, Brass can take a little bit to fully grasp. 

I would go standard Concordia, I have heard mixed things about Venus as you team up with someone. It is an odd coop mixture. I have not played myself though!

Owner10 months ago

Yup, very true. We tend to value these aspects a whole lot over others:

• Smooth/streamlined gameplay and clever mechanics
  • Not a whole lot of rules overhead but deep in strategy/tactics
  • Thematic ties

Gotcha, I'll be going with the standard Concordia! (when holiday sales come) lol

Linked Topic