This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

Games you don't want to get too good at?

This is about the "air hockey problem" as coined in the 27th minute of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WffBU8l_g8Y&t=1739s

Basically, it's that if you get too much better at a game than those you normally play with they won't want to play that game with you any more.

I've avoided #Scythe digital version for this exact reason. It's also why I don't play the solo mode of Scythe.  I've got a couple of friends that really like the game, but we don't get to play together but a few times a year, and I don't want to ruin that experience.  I'm hoping after the pandemic we can set up a semi-regular time and run through #Scythe: The Rise of Fenris together.

I avoided the #Terraforming Mars app for the longest time for this same reason. Then I realized that I wasn't winning any of those games anyway!  It's also one of the reasons I don't like researching online too deep into strategies for some games.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Like| 37 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

58 days ago

#Memoir '44. It's the only nerd game my dad can handle. I know I'm way better than him, but I always restrain myself from unleashing my full power upon the mortal. I sometimes give him a win, or I win but I try to make it a close game. Or he wins because I try to win a close game but Memoir is always shorter than I expect it, so I'll be in a big lead and space out for a couple of turns, then when I focus back in, I realize he won...

58 days ago

Nice! Sounds like good quality time with Dad :)

58 days ago

That's one way to put it!

52 days ago

I fell into this trap with #Twilight Struggle - the online version is really good and you can play with amazing players. I improved A LOT in a very short period. Now the problem is noone wants to play with me because I play way better than them. 

56 days ago

No one will play Star Wars Trivia with me ; ;

Supporter57 days ago

Great question!

I have sort of thought about it from the standpoint of the few games I play solo.  However, I'm so bad at multiplayer (or I always finish 3rd or 4th) that I'm not worried about it with #Clans of Caledonia.  In my opinion the #Scythe Automa is so different from regular players that I don't think it would make or break unless you played it alllll the time (especially if you run 2 - 3 Automas).

However, I do think solo play of #Viticulture: Essential Edition has made me a very potent player (I don't know that I've ever lost), and so I try not to get that out solo anymore.

But yeah, I never want to play a game where there is no way I can lose because that would be less fun for everyone else at the table.

57 days ago

#Hive Pocket

I love chess and the game feels chess-like. I instinctively started learning a couple of canned openings and stuff, but then I started crushing Sarah at it and she didn't want to play any more. I learned a lesson at that point, there's no point ruining someone else's enjoyment just to get 'good'. Since then I basically no longer care if I won or lose ever, it's just about facilitating enjoyment at the table.

The one game I do like getting good at is #Tigris & Euphrates. It's so satisfying to put a plan together and see it play out.

44 days ago

Yeah #Hive Pocket is one of my favorite game ever and I want to git gud, but then everybody else just play to enjoy the game, so if I want to make it challenging I would have to give a handicap, and at that point it's no fun anymore

On that note, damn if only I can get my hand on a copy of #Tigris & Euphrates . It's been on my wishlist for so long and no reprint is in sight

44 days ago

You might have better luck finding #Yellow & Yangtze . From what I understand, it is the same game with a slightly different theme. Essentially #Yellow & Yangtze is the reprint of #Tigris & Euphrates.

44 days ago

I think it's a bit more than a reprint - more of a reworking. The BGA page calls it a "sister game."

43 days ago

Yeah I did some research into #Yellow & Yangtze and it seems to implement the modern style euro philosophy into it as more ease of play, less cutthroat, most actions grant points and I'm on the camp against that style of game. I heard some rumor about 2 player #Tigris & Euphrates though and am waiting on that

43 days ago

Interesting! Yeah I know that T&E is considered by many to be Knizia's magnum opus, but I haven't actually read up on opinions of Y&Y.

57 days ago

by playing 4 player co-op #Gloomhaven on the pc a lot lately, I fear it might influence the experience when going for the real boardgame with a different party. everything will be slower because the computer handles a big deal of the rules.

I also need to be careful not to be to alpha gamer because of learnings I picked up dealign with enemies with shield, traps, big levels that need a lot of movement etc. 

Premium User57 days ago

Interesting post. I would say my answer is kind of a cop out..all games lol.

This is pretty much THE reason my fiancée won't play heavier stuff with me. She thinks I'm just better at games than her in general. I'm not going to say it's totally true because I do lose many games quite often. That being said, I see where she is coming from. As the primary researcher and purchaser of games, I sometimes get a sense of how to play them before they even arrive. That puts her at a disadvantage right away. Just gotta get better at losing against her I think...lol

Supporter58 days ago

I am in no danger of this yet.... But, I really do love #Race for the Galaxy. And, I really don't want to get too good at it. I suppose the same is true of other board games. But, Race is the one I could play a lot on Keldon AI and get really good at the expense of my friends. I do play Keldon AI some, I played it twice just this morning. But, I do try not to play it too much.

58 days ago

This is interesting. I have never thought about this. I think my group is pretty competitive anyways so I am not super against getting good at a game lol. 

58 days ago

Getting good isn't the problem in itself, it's if the gap in skill between players gets to be too large.

58 days ago

I see! I had this issue with #Blood Rage. One of my friends just annihilated us every game it made it so not fun so I see the barrier there!

57 days ago

Ahh so maybe that's the main reason you ended up not enjoying Blood Rage?

57 days ago

It probably had a contributing factor! The people I was playing with also just did not enjoy it as much as I thought they would. It felt like a clean design but like there was a very clear path to victory and once someone went down that path they were hard to stop. 

57 days ago

Yeah I guess if no one is into it, it's not going to be one that sticks around. Oh well, they can't all be winners, haha

57 days ago

Totally! I wanted it to work...I think I was also learning a lot about my own preferences at that time and my groups as well. I learned I love Euro styles games more than heavy conflict games in this situation so I sold Blood Rage and replaced it with Gaia Project lol. 

57 days ago

Haha, there you go. I think I'm finding that I prefer to have some sort of player interaction, and I like reacting to other people's plays. I do of course enjoy some Euro style engine building, but I think I'm starting to lean toward a little more interactivity. Doesn't have to necessarily be negative interaction, but I think a game where I can be totally heads down is one I'll be less likely to suggest on game night.

57 days ago

I am probably right in the middle. I do not love a game where your head is down the whole time. Typically a shared main board has been the solution for my group. Or a game like #Bus and #Concordia or #Pax Pamir (Second Edition)

57 days ago

Yeah, I would probably describe myself as in the middle as well. I don't necessarily want to always be playing games where you're constantly in each other's business, but I do enjoy that and want a bit of it.

57 days ago

It definitely allows for the evening to be more memorable as a group rather than individually!

58 days ago

Exactly!

58 days ago

I mean I would say all of my games lol. #Gaia Project and #Barrage come to mind though. Both longer games that can drag on for a person who does not know the game well and would be a bummer if you were just getting destroyed!

58 days ago

I pretty much avoid apps for all games that I actually own (or expect to own) for this very reason. There's an app for #7 Wonders Duel, but I don't want to play it, because I want to actually play my wife competitively. Same with #Santorini.