trentellingsen

4x Game "Hyperspace" is Live - From the Designer of Cthulhu Wars, Doom, Quake, and Halo Wars.

From the designer of Cthulhu Wars, Doom, Quake, Halo Wars, and many more masterpieces comes this new board game called Hyperspace!

4 points by trentellingsen - updated 4 months ago | 14 comments | report | subscribe

Sandy Petersen 9 months ago | 4 points[-]

Hey all, this is Sandy the designer. I just joined Board Game Atlas. Not sure if this is the right place, but I am happy to answer any questions about it. 

I will say that the Fungi are not  based on the Saprolings, but come from a Lovecraft story about an alien invasion. The Venge, however are indeed RollOuttaBed after failing math. 

RollOuttaBed 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

Three questions

1. What's your favorite Civ to play?
  2. When are you revealing your 25th Civ?
  3. How did you come up with the names for each of them?

Quilt 9 months ago | 1 point[-]

Hi Sandy.

I have another question:

Have you considered offering a version around the 150$ price point?

I think that a base game + alien miniatures + 4-5 extra civs + extra player (+ maybe extra dice set) would be a real hit.

Sandy Petersen 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

It's already there in effect. Get the $119 "Corvette Pilot" which supports 6 players, has 6 civs, and the alien miniatures, then add-on three more civs for $10 each. Your total is $149, and you have a game with 9 civs. Plus you get space monsters. 

rockstar 9 months ago | 3 points[-]

That Skith civilization looks pretty sweet!

RollOuttaBed 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

The Fungi Art reminded me of the Saprolings in Magic: the Gathering. Also the dude in the Venge art is me when I look at my math test results.

zerotozero 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

That looks pretty cool 

bgqtony 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

I am totally biased, but I love Hyperspace. Been playing it a ton on Tabletopia lately. 

Sandy Petersen 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

in answer to the questions: 

1) What's my favorite civ to play?

Sandy - the truth is, because I'm trying to get all the civs to be fun, the civs I find myself spending the MOST time thinking and worrying about are the "problem children". The ones that seem to have some flaw. The last civ I was fiddling with before I finalized the game were the Yithians so maybe them? But the civ of my childhood, that I originally invented at the tender age of 13, were the Broodmasters. 

2) When am I revealing my 25th civ?

Sandy - Monday Feb 18th. 

3) How did I come up with the names for each of them?

Sandy - it was an eclectic process. In some cases, I found a foreign word that seemed to match what I thought the creature was like, and then modified. Urumak is based on a turkish word for Monster or Giant, for example, while Zepzeg is based on a Magyar word for courtesan. 

trentellingsen 9 months ago | 1 point[-]

Wow! Since you were 13? Why haven't the Broodmasters been in a game of yours until now?

Sandy Petersen 9 months ago | 1 point[-]

They have! In 1991 I did two computer games named Lightspeed and Hyperspace. They're in it. 

bgqtony 9 months ago | 2 points[-]

Think you mean Hyperspeed game :)

trentellingsen 9 months ago | 1 point[-]

Oh cool! What would you say is the defining feature or quality of the Broodmasters that make them unique?

Sandy Petersen 9 months ago | 1 point[-]

I actually did a whole youtube video sort of about them on my SandyofCthulhu channel. It’s titled “What would a real telepath be like?” And it’s basically a thought experiment in what would an actual telepathic being evolve into. My answer was the Broodmaster!

Linked Games