How has 2020 changed the board game industry?

Supporter

We are part of a hobby that values a lot of face to face interaction. And, it was interesting to watch what happened when that part of the hobby was forcefully removed by a worldwide pandemic.

I am curious what sorts of changes you see in the industry going forward. I don't really know what we can expect to see in the new normal, but I do have a few ideas.

I do wonder if developers and game designers will be quicker to release TTS mods in connection with kickstarters. There did seem to be a definite uptick in the amount of TTS mods available, even for unrealesed games, this year.

I expect that this will permanently change travel much like 9/11 changed travel. I expect that we will have more thermal imagining and that sort of things in airports. I wonder if we won't see more of that sort of thing in bigger international conventions as well.

I wonder if some of the bigger conventions won't try to maintain some sort of virtual presence for those who are unable to physically attend.

I do think that the solo part of the hobby grew greatly. I don't know how many of those solo gamers will stay solo gamers, but I am sure some of them will. I expect that going forward it will be even more important to make sure that games have solo modes.

Anyways, I am curious what sort of changes you expect to see in the industry going forward from now.

LikeChristmas Victory Point| 61 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

57 days ago

I think everything is gonna be up in the air, I think people will try lots of stuff, and some of it will stick and become a new normal, and some of it will be a disastor.  I Think the most successful companies will be the ones that manage to keep some things that they were forced to learn and carry them over into a post pandemic world...when we get there.

Premium User2 months ago

I definitely agree that solo gaming was a bigger part of my gaming year.  And as others have said, the online board gaming sites are now crucial for the hobby.  

Virtual conventions definitely need to get better.  The AwShux convention was interesting but really just made me miss SHUX more.  It had some really good moments though which makes me think they will get better as time goes on.

Supporter2 months ago

I'm very confident that virtual will never be as good in all the same ways as a in-person convention. However, I do fully expect them to get better, and potentially even pass up in person conventions in some ways. 

Premium User2 months ago

Oh for sure!  It’s the same as gaming online will never be as good as offline because the physicality of the components is important. 

But I could see it being a great supplement to it just like digital board gaming has been great during the last few months!

:)

2 months ago

I think places like Board Game Arena had to step up their game and add some new games and improve their features, which is a huge win for all who use it!

2 months ago

BGA definitely had a lot of problems being super impacted at the beginning of the pandemic.  I only hopped on after, but were they releasing games at such a furious pace before?  Because it seems like they've released a lot of new games this year. 

2 months ago

They weren't releasing games quickly at the beginning. They're working faster now. We tried to use their video chat option early on and it was very buggy to say the least lol

2 months ago

Oh yeah, I've never been a premium user so I've never had the occasion to use their voice chat.  On the rare occasion that I am playing live with friends we set up a discord server to do the chat part. 

2 months ago

I was premium early on in the pandemic but have since cancelled it. Sometimes it is worth it but most of the time that's a no!

2 months ago

I just bought my sister a premium membership for Christmas because we used to have an ongoing game of #Potion Explosion and they made that game premium a few months back. We usually play it turn based though so I doubt we'll be using any other of the premium features besides trying out some of the games. 

2 months ago

That game seems like a iPhone app game lol. Looks fun though!

2 months ago

It is!  I'd love to see in real life too, the marbles must be fun to play with but a lot messier since you have to try to take them out of the tray and everything. 

59 days ago

It's a heavy box! I picked it up randomly one time at a Barnes and Noble and was shocked by the weight!

59 days ago

I haven't ever actually seen a copy in real life.  But good to know the marbles aren't made of cheap plastic haha.  Its a pretty fun light game though, I'd add it to our list of things to play on BGA but it's premium. 

59 days ago

I would love to jump into that! Maybe I will sign up for a premium account for like a month lol

58 days ago

If you do that we need to play #Clans of Caledonia too!

58 days ago

Ahh yes, that is another good one that I am bad at lol. 

57 days ago

That one is another tight game.  There's never enough money to do what you want.  Just like real life I guess haha

57 days ago

I have found that it is feast or famine in that game. You either have a lot and spend it all or you have none and you are constantly searching how to get more lol. 

56 days ago

I've gotten by with not a ton of money before, but you have to plan everything out very carefully.  This is game when I play turn based I'm always pulling out my calculator to play my moves as keeps insisting I do about every game ever since he found out haha. 

56 days ago

Pulling out a calculator??? Dang that is an aggressive move!

Premium User55 days ago

THATS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING lol

It's no wonder she's crushing us in Teo...LOL

55 days ago

No calculators were involved in the Teo win!  I just learn fast haha.  Also the numbers don't go high enough >.>

I promise that if we do play Clans I will refrain from doing any but the barest minimum of maths lol. 

Premium User55 days ago

I don't even have any idea what your strategy was but yeah you killed it! I don't think I've ever scored higher than maybe 170?

54 days ago

When we played with my friend IRL he said that the temple building is your main point engine so I've been trying to focus on that.  And also ascending a worker more than once per game haha.  I did it 3 times this game.  First 2 or 3 games I did it only once or not at all. 

Premium User53 days ago

To the second point, I typically try to move the same worker around every time for that reason. It's not perfect but it helps ascend quicker. I don't think I've ever really focused on the temple...hmm

51 days ago

I started a new game, so you can give the new strategy a try haha

55 days ago

Lol I play by the seat of my pants most of the time and learn from being a dumb dumb lol. You will always have someone to beat!

Premium User55 days ago

It's nice to have the competition for sure. Sarah more or less hates Teo so any opportunity I have to play works for me

54 days ago

Want to start a new game with ?  Or wait until we've finished #Stone Age?