What did you play this week? (12/28/2020)

(12/28/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Christmas LikeLike| 59 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Moderator Level 18 months ago

Nothing. 

Premium User8 months ago

#Crokinole several times over the weekend.  Very fun game, simple, but very fun. 

#Raiders of Scythia once with my mom on Saturday.  She is not what I would call a 'gamer' and would default to #Yahtzee or #Monopoly if given the choice, but, after playing, asked when we could play again.  I really liked the first playthrough and while I think Becky will repeatedly kick my tail at this game I did enjoy it and look forward to the next one.

#PARKS on Sunday and with #PARKS: Nightfall Expansion was a close game 31-30 with me pulling out a win due to taking an extra picture and obtaining 1 extra year card.

Premium User8 months ago

Wow, teaching a non gamer to play #Raiders of Scythia? Color me impressed!

8 months ago

Out of curiousity what quality of board do you use when you play #Crokinole? The boards can be relatively cheap to super pricey.  I was first introduced to the game on a very pricy board.  I introduced the game to my side of the family using the backside of an old Carrom board that had been sitting in their basement for years.  Had a lot of fun both times. I've been considering picking up a board ever since but I'm undecided if I should invest in the higher quality board.

Premium User8 months ago

I have a lower quality board from Kickstarter. I have two kids though and didn't want a high quality board. If I was setting up a game room and had regular plays or ran tournaments I'd go higher quality. I really need to get these kids to college before I get too shee-shee-foo-foo 

8 months ago

Is it one of the Mayday kickstarter boards? I feel like that might be a nice mid-point between the cheap $40 ones and the $250+ tournament grade boards.

Premium User8 months ago

That's the one!!

8 months ago

• #Innovation (3x2p) I can't remember the first game.  For the second, we were neck-and-neck in achievements and I slipped in a last one to win.  It didn't help that my SO was tired and wasn't paying close attention.  For the third, we tried switching from Isotropic to BoardGameArena.  While Isotropic is ugly, it is easy to read and scan, for me.  For my SO, Isotropic is too confusing.  I had little splaying power but volleyed up to age 10 with Publisher.  At this point, my SO could steal both cards from my hand and cards from my tableau but I was able to sneak in one last Publisher to win with my 7 points compared to her 0.
  • #First Orchard (10x) My toddler quickly picked up this game.  Not setting it up yet but goes along with turn order, rolling, and playing.  Making a big deal of the Raven really helped sell her on this one.  The "threat" of the Raven is why I went with this game over #The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game and it looks like I made the right call.
  • #My Very First Games: Animal Upon Animal (4x) My toddler mostly plays along but doesn't get this one as much, especially continuing once the tower collapses and scoring. We'll work on it.

8 months ago

We hosted my brother-in-law and his family for Christmas, and got in a few games at my side of the family's gathering, so a lot of games got played.

#Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

#Viticulture: Essential Edition (multiple with and without Tuscany)

#Santorini  (multiple)

#The Red Dragon Inn

#Atlantis Rising (second edition)

#Skulk Hollow

#Silver Bullet

#GoodCritters (multiple)

#Kemet

#Rising Sun

#King of Tokyo (Multiple)

#The Resistance (multiple)

#A Fake Artist Goes to New York

#Xenoshyft: Onslaught

Whew!

8 months ago

Played some #Wingspan with my friend. I also got to try #Pandemic for the first time! Unfortunately, my friend who taught us found out the next day that she forgot something in the rules so we actually ended up playing it wrong. I'm excited to try again! 

We wrapped up our old fanmade campaign. This last scenario was the most well-balanced of them all. We didn't get the best ending but it is what it is. (:
We started a new fanmade campaign for #Arkham Horror: The Card Game. This one starts with us all as amnesiacs on an old creepy culty(?) spaceship. And so far, I've been enjoying it! We are playing again tomorrow and am excited for it as well. 

8 months ago

• #Rococo: Deluxe Edition with #Rococo: Jewelry Box Expansion 2x: So beautiful, and yes busy, but I think I prefer the new design quite a lot over the original. This a relaxing Euro gameplay-wise, though with a great deal of setup required just to play solo.
  • #Lisboa 2x: Brain melting. I haven’t played this in over a year so I had to relearn from scratch and it was … a lot. Got a lot wrong on the first runthrough. On the second, we nailed down a few gaps and hopefully I’ll remember for next time. OTOH, the feeling at the end of the second game was so satisfying. I love the richness of the board. I love the city building puzzle. I love the multi-use card action conundrum. I’ll have to replay this in the next couple of weeks so I don’t forget the rules again.
  • #Beyond the Sun 2x: Enjoyable with a lot of potential for future exploration. I can see that repeat plays will help with learning what all the available techs are, and which ones will benefit which strategy. Very much an “abundance” game in feeling, much like #Terraforming Mars.

8 months ago

Nice chill week

1) #Raiders of the North Sea with the #Raiders of the North Sea: Fields of Fame expansion

2) Recently acquired #King of Tokyo 

3) Got to play more #Paladins of the West Kingdom =)

4) First time playing #Everdell with 2 players and pleasent surprise. It's very good and quick. Will repeat for sure.

5) Wrapped up with some #Hive Pocket (which I thought would be a easy chill game... damn thing is like high level chess!)

Hope you all had a good time this week!

Premium User8 months ago

Glad to see you enjoyed Everdell! That's one of my favorites. Hive is also great, and yeah, very chess-like!

8 months ago

Love Everdell! Want to buy more expansions now

Premium User8 months ago

We have them all! I wouldn't say any of them are "must have" expansions, but they're all fun, and you can mix and match. We often still play base game only, if that tells you anything. Just depends on what we're feeling like that evening.

Moderator Level 18 months ago

Only thing I got played was several games of Yellow 11. It is a trick taking game that some of my friends down here like. I came in second in each game.

8 months ago

Didn't get to do too much.  There were a lot of opening present marathons with the kiddos over zoom with the extended family.  I did finally get to try out #Planet and also my sisters and brothers-in-law got another month of #Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 in.  I play a support role in that game in that I help watch their kids and clean up after dinner so they can play haha. 

Premium User8 months ago

Played more than I thought I did this week.

Finished up a game of #Yokohama against and on BGA. I think it was pretty clear who among us had played before lol. Neal and myself lost pretty badly...Speaking of those two, we also finished a game of #Teotihuacan: City of Gods on BGA. beat us there too.

Also got #That's Pretty Clever from my meetup groups Secret Santa so of course I had to give it a shot. I like the comboing of actions aspect quite a bit and really hope to introduce this to a few more people.

Finally got around to trying #Nemo's War (Second Edition). Sarah said it just looked like I was talking to myself the whole time lol. Didn't help me any as I lost pretty badly.

Played #The Quacks of Quedlinburg against Sarah..kinda..she had her nails painted so I had to pull chits from her bag as well. We both liked it, though I think she would have preferred to play for herself. Looking forward to giving this another go.

Christmas Day was spent with Sarah's family. We played #Cards Against Humanity, #Team Play, #Poetry For Neanderthals, and #Marvel United. Mostly just silly fun, obviously a great time spent with family.

Finished off the week playing #Orléans with my recently acquired #Orléans: Trade & Intrigue expansion. We used the nicer Beneficial Deeds board and it opened up the game a lot between that and the new order cards. Sarah was, in my opinion, a little too worried about what I was doing. I think she could have easily beat me had she just stayed on her own path as I was mainly just trying out new stuff. Really, really like this expansion.

8 months ago

Also very appropriate that you were talking to yourself while playing Nemos War...it's like your LARPing The Captain himself!!

Premium User8 months ago

It was more like "okay so if I do that...then I can...oh wait no because I want to do this..." LOL

8 months ago

Lol nothing wrong with a little talking to yourself! The head space sounds right up my alley!!

8 months ago

Hahaha I enjoyed Yokohama but the strategy wasn't clear until way to late for me! I also still am bad at Teo lol. 

Premium User8 months ago

Yeah I feel the same with Yokohama. And yes...you're still bad at Teo LOL

8 months ago

I had a good strategy last game but didn't manage my coco well so I am working on that this game!

Premium User8 months ago

Seems to be working out for you for sure!

8 months ago

There is still plenty of time to make some mistakes 😂

Premium User8 months ago

I'm honestly shocked how far along these temple tracks I'm getting this game. No idea how it will pan out in the end but I've never been this far up them at once!

8 months ago

I noticed that!! We are have only had one eclipse and you are already on the top of one!

8 months ago

Sorry!  We should play again!  #Yokohama really is a great game, you'll just have to trust me haha. 

Premium User8 months ago

No need to apologize! I like the game a lot and would definitely play it again. I only changed games just to switch it up