Feedback Friday! (2020-06-12)

Supporter
BGA

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content, etc. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

For this week, I'd like to invite everyone to do a bit of brainstorming! We're wanting to make game search more accessible by approaching it in the style of Netflix. Rather than expecting our users to discover games they want by using different combination of filters available on the "All Games" page, it'd be better if someone wanting to find "good games for couples" could quickly find a number of options without trouble. With that said, please throw out some ideas on how we can make this work! Also, what are some common queries that people have when it comes to discovering games? (e.g. best two player games, best board games for Halloween themed night, etc)

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Like| 19 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

5 months ago

@trentellingsen something minor that I just noticed is that when visiting another user's logged plays, there is a header that still says "All your plays," even though they are not mine. Again, very minor, but could confuse some people. Maybe it should say "your plays" only for the logged in user, and "All /u/theDL's plays" or "All @theDL's plays" for everyone else?

Supporter5 months ago

Oh yes, haha. I’ll get that fixed up!

5 months ago

Sweet!

5 months ago

I wonder if rather than tagging the games, on people's profile's they could list there favourite_____ game (worker placement, beginner, heavy) etc. So not only would you build a database for suggestions but then if I go on someone's profile I learn a little more than just what they own but out of that list which is their favourite? 

*I posted this further down as a reply but thought it might be worth commenting separately so it doesn't get lost/people can reply without hijacking that thread

Supporter5 months ago

Trent has been working on a ranking system for looking at trending, popular, most mentioned, and other types of criteria! Many of them consider the games that are included in user lists. Having an even more granular way of considering the specific category/mechanic of the games in the lists would be cool. And I agree, I'd like list making to be a common thing among users and for us to be able to easily engage with them. I'd like to be able to "like" other user's lists or the ability to share a list, either internally or to others outside of BGA

Supporter5 months ago

I do like this idea. It makes the website more usable and also helps to separate it from BGG. Is there some way to look at a persons collection and play logs and make recommendations from there? And take that data into account with what they are searching for? I know Netflix does that too - You enjoyed #Terraforming Mars? Here are some suggestions to play next!

Not sure how practical or easy to implement but it’s an idea!

Supporter5 months ago

Yes, personal recommendations based on your history/collection will be something we'll implement in the future!

5 months ago

That's a fun idea! First thoughts about that would be implementing a tagging system for games - users can add tags to games such as "travel game" or "beginner game" or "couples game". Maybe these are not necessarily added to the game's page in BGA, but stored in the database, each as a separate instance. So if multiple people add the tag "beginner game," it would be added to the database multiple times for that game. Then, when people search for "small-box game", the games that have the highest number of those tags will show up at the top.

My worry with this is whether or not it is different enough from searching by category/mechanism/player count etc. to warrant putting lots of hours into whatever the solution ends up being.

5 months ago

I guess if you went with something like this, you could display the top X tags for the game on it's page.

Supporter5 months ago

I like your ideas. We have an idea on how we'll approach making the different list of games, but yours is certainly interesting. I especially love your idea of a game page showing that it's "#3 travel game," "#12 couples games," and such

5 months ago

I'd love to hear your idea. My idea of course gives all the work to the users, which isn't necessarily bad, but it does take time to build it into something useful.

Supporter5 months ago

Unless the users go crazy like they did with tags on Steam. That can be a problem too. 

5 months ago

I don't know that story, but yeah they're may have to be some kind of limitations.

5 months ago

I wonder if rather than tagging the games, on people's profile's they could list there favourite_____ game (worker placement, beginner, heavy) etc. So not only would you build a database for suggestions but then if I go on someone's profile I learn a little more than just what they own but out of that list which is their favourite

5 months ago

I like that too! Would that be much different than tagging the games with that tag? If I'm understanding it correctly, it seems like it would be basically tagging a game with whatever category you want (heavy, worker placement, etc.) and adding a rank (numeric) component.

5 months ago

It's pretty similar, I guess I was suggesting that Phil/Trent would choose a whole bunch of categories and there would be a section on everyone's profile to fill as many or as few in as you liked. Functionally it is the same as tagging but I guess more linked to your specific profile rather than just a vote

5 months ago

Ah okay, so that is different because it's pre-defined categories.

5 months ago

Yeah, I thought it might prevent unhelpful data sets, and obviously people could suggest categories. Also, it could be presented in kind of a survey form on your profile to encourage people to fill it in to give a more rounded data set?

5 months ago

Yeah that could probably work as well!

Linked Topic