As a follow up to @philryuh's post from a few days ago, (and mainly out of boredom) I decided to run a new pubmeeple just to see how I stacked up to my predictions. I originally made my top 25 list about 2 months ago now, but I'd gotten some new games that I felt could crack my top 5 & top 10.
To recap: I had commented that I felt Spirit Island and Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion could break my top 5, kicking off Dominion and Mystic Vale. As for top 10, I thought Concordia and my newly acquired Barrage could make it on, displacing Team Play, Chinatown, and Orleans. I will admit the Barrage pick was due in large part to my two (and only two) plays of it since I recieved it making me overly excited to play again lol. I have a tendency to do that with new games.
So how did I do? Pretty well I think!
My new top 10 is:
- #Wingspan - Taking it's rightful place lol (+2)
- #Terraforming Mars - Stayed right where it was (no change)
- #Spirit Island - Made the expected jump (+4)
- #The Castles of Burgundy - Probably closer to where it should have been (-3)
- #Monikers - So close! At least I had the right two games making the drop out of the top 5 (+1)
- #Concordia - Might have more to do with me wanting to play this recently (new)
- #Dominion: Second Edition - Oof sad to see that drop (-3)
- #Mystic Vale - I'd expect this to keep dropping further down closer to top 20 territory (-3)
- #Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion - Okay just a little off...still time for it to jump to the top 5 (new)
- #Team Play - Barely hanging on (no change)
Dropping out of the top 10 as expected were #Chinatown at 11 and #Orléans at 12, making drops of 2 and 4, respectively. I'm kind of proud of myself for being so close with my predictions. #Barrage ended up at 28. Honestly it likely would have been in the top 25 if not for #Underwater Cities being even newer to me now. I'm telling you that's a thing for me lol.
In case anyone cares about the rest of the new top 25, it's largely the same. If I'm counting right there's 4 other changes from where things were at in September. And of course all but one of them are just newer to me games I've acquired since I made the list..
- #Suburbia - This wound up 16th and I think it's pretty deserving of an inclusion here. We had a lot of fun with it and will definitely keep playing it for a long time.
- #Underwater Cities - Talk about recency bias. Came in at 20th.
- #Biblios - 21st on my list. So this games new to me too thanks to my BGB Ghost Turkey (Secret Santa), but I had played it before. Can't blame all these on shiny new toy syndrome!
- #Gloomhaven - I don't own this one, but there's been a whole lot of talk on the forum recently about it which probably boosted it a bit in my mind. I don't know why it didn't make the top 25 when I did it last time to be completely honest. I must have forgotten to include it when I selected the games to be ranked. Ended up 22nd.
Speaking of not including things in the rankings, I once again did a disservice to #Telestrations. I have no logged plays of it on BGG and fully admit I have to change that soon lol. But because I had no plays logged, it didn't get included, so it obviously dropped from my top 25 entirely. It was previously my 21st ranked game. Other games falling off the list:
1-4 were 22nd-25th respectively and Camel Up made a huge drop from 14th down to 34th. None of these are particularly surprising. I would expect after the newness of games like Underwater Cities and Biblios wears off, they'll drop from my list, making way for whatever new games I have at the time haha.