This site prioritizes game information. Would you like to keep that way or would you want to priortize game prices? Prioritize PricesPrioritize Information

(Change this option in the future in the Account dropdown)

What did you play this week? (11/23/2020)

(11/23/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

LoveLike| 99 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

2 months ago

Light but fun week this week!

• #Patchwork x4 @ 2-players (duh) - I had a friend of mine over on Tuesday night and he had very little experience with games and I intended to play this as a warmup game but he just loved it! Got 4 plays in and I won the first three but he snagged the last one!
  • #Space Base @ 4-players - I did not think I would like this one as much as I did. The artwork did nothing for me and the pics I saw just seemed like a jumbled mess but the game was fun! A little luck dependent but there are ways to mitigate which helped! I would play again for sure....it may have helped that I won lol. 

2 months ago

I don't know why it is but I suck at Space Base.  Yet I can play #Machi Koro, and its basically the same thing. 

Premium User59 days ago

I've always wanted to play #Machi Koro but having owned #Space Base I don't see the point. Are they even remotely different enough?

59 days ago

Eh if you own and are happy with Space Base then I wouldn't buy it.  Its the same mechanic and the only difference is that the things you buy are like shops and things that have abilities that are activated with the dice roll and there are no bonus point rockets to buy.  But for whatever reason I have the worst luck at Space Base but am just fine playing Machi Koro lol

Premium User58 days ago

Gotcha. I don't think I'd want to own it anyway, maybe just try it out. We actually gave Space Base away to my brother to save some space.

58 days ago

Yeah I did the same thing with #Splendor.  My friend played it and really liked it so I just left it at her house. 

Premium User58 days ago

Splendor for me is a little bland so I'd probably just about leave it anywhere if I owned it hahaha

57 days ago

ugh sooo bland.  At least give me cool jewels to play with if I have to play this boring game. 

2 months ago

Exactly the same thing here. I much prefer Space Base even though I'm bad.

2 months ago

Still have never played Patchwork! We have #The Isle of Cats as a polyomino game, but I'm sure this one is much easier to get to the table.

Premium User2 months ago

It's one my my fiancée's favorites! Though she has recently given me the green light to try and get it out of our collection lol

2 months ago

Oh yeah? Why is she cool with seeing it leave?

Premium User2 months ago

Honestly I was shocked because it was one of the first games she liked and has continued to like. When I asked all I really got was oh I don't know I just don't think we need it hahaha

2 months ago

Haha, I think there are only a couple of games that my wife would be upset if I got rid of them. All the rest she'll play with me, but doesn't really mind whether or not I keep them.

Premium User2 months ago

Mine just surprises me sometimes with what games she doesn't want me to get rid of. 

2 months ago

Patchwork definitely is more streamlined that Isle of Cats! probably can be played in like 25-30 minutes with a teach included...

2 months ago

• #Sprawlopolis - I've had a PnP version of this in my backpack for months, but it's so small that I never even think about it. I finally did and tried it out solo. This is a neat little game! Perfect if you have 10-15 minutes to kill and want to get a game in. Basically zero setup and takes very little table space.
  • #Fort @ 3p - finally got to play this at more than 2, and I like it even better! More opportunities to follow, which gives you mean interesting decisions, IMO. Played on TTS.
  • #Santorini 2x @ 2p - my wife obliged me by playing this one. I won both games. She's not at all comfortable playing an abstract strategy game like this. She says she just makes a move and hopes for the best lol. Hopefully she can up her skill a little bit, I'd really like to play this with her more often.
  • #Underwater Cities - had more free time yesterday than I thought I would, so decided to learn this one. I played solo, so that I could learn it before trying to teach my wife. I think I liked it! I'm sure I made some mistakes, but once I understood the flow, it went pretty smoothly. I think it goes without saying that I lost by a wide margin haha. I think I'll be able to teach my wife how to play, though, which was the goal.

Premium User2 months ago

Sounds like a great week! 

2 months ago

Yeah it was pretty good!

Supporter2 months ago

On Thursday, played three games, all of which I handily lost.

I played two games of #Race for the Galaxy against the Keldon AI program. I am just in awe of how good that program really is. I would love to play it more, but I'm afraid it I play it too much I might become good, or even too good.

Then I played #Pax Pamir (Second Edition). This continues to not disappoint. Once again we went through to the 4th dominance check, where the Wakhan edged me out by one point. 

2 months ago

What's good about the Race AI? It's quite an old game, too. They've done well that it still holds up so brilliantly.

Supporter2 months ago

http://keldon.net/rftg/

Is a computer implementation of the game. It's completely free, and very very good, if you already know the game. Playing it feels like playing the real game. You can choose how many opponents you play, which expansions, etc.... 

2 months ago

That looks brilliant, bravo to the dev.

Supporter2 months ago

Yes bravo to the developer, and, yes it's brilliant. 

2 months ago

I was shocked that Sarah agreed to have a go at #Pax Transhumanity.

It's hilariously complex, really, and she put up a valiant effort to learn it. We got the teach and a learning game in, in under 1h30 which was impressive. She went for a lie down afterwards lol. I just hope she'll be up for it again, as we've only scratched the surface of the deep strategy that's involved. Even just the order of the cards in the market and when to refresh the market is a huge strategic consideration. 

Also snuck in a couple of rounds of #Welcome to..., our most played game. Always a blast, I won by 3 points. I'm eyeing up a new roll and write, I quite like the look of #Troyes Dice, #Cartographers Heroes among others.

Got in another game of #Fort

For whatever reason, this game doesn't really transcend into "great" territory for me. The ingredients are there, it's just a little underwhelming. It's hard to explain why.

#Pax Pamir (Second Edition) arrived and I can't seem to muster up the will to learn it. Something about the endless minutiae in the tutorial videos mean I keep losing the ability to follow along and I end up switching off. Any recommendations for learning content? 

Owner2 months ago

WOW. Teach and learning game under 1.5 hours for a Pax game sounds amazing lol. Valiant effort indeed from Sarah!!

For Pax Pamir, I tried watching a few videos but ended up pausing all of them. Visuals are helpful for a quick overview, but I typically prefer just reading the rulebook. I just go through it slowly and digest everything. It's nice to get familiar with the rulebook so that I know where to jump to when I have questions, and I was enamored by some of the mechanisms the game is using to evoke the theme. I think it's put together quite well and easy to follow, it's just that it has lots of small rules that you can easily forget during gameplay. For that, I remember hearing there are great player aids put together by fans.

Any idea when you'll be getting to it? I'm curious how you'll feel about it!

2 months ago

I know! Saying that, we used a 2p variant which significantly shortens the game.

I think you're right, I'll just slowly take my time perusing the rulebook instead of trying to absorb it all in one go with videos (which is what I normally do). 

I'll definitely play a learning game this week and share my thoughts on the forum :)

Have you tried the solo mode?