Feedback Friday! (2020-07-17)

Owner

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your feedback on all things related to Board Game Atlas. You can also find more information in this article where I walk through the various features on BGA.

Also, this was the first week of having a "weekly challenge" for everyone to participate in. Have you been enjoying seeing everyone's post? Any improvements needed? I'll be fine-tuning things as I go and make it as fun of an experience for everyone!

Lastly, what are some other challenges you'd like to see in the future?

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend! :)

Like| 27 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

4 months ago

Maybe I am just missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a time/date stamp for when a forum post was initally posted? You just see when it was 'last updated'. This might be intentional but it would be nice to see when the post was made to possibly put it into context?

Owner4 months ago

I've wanted something like that as well, will put it under the list!

4 months ago

Thank you! 

4 months ago

I've definitely enjoyed seeing all of the challenge posts! It's cool to see everyone's shelves.

Some other ideas:

• Get it off the "shelf of shame" - play a game that's been sitting on your shelf unplayed
  • Designer or publisher series - play multiple games from the same designer/publisher
  • Solo challenge - play solo games. Could even have a competition if many people have the same solo game, like who scored highest, etc.

4 months ago

I'm not sure I have many games from the same deisgner, but I love the concept and have always thought it would be intersting to explore one designer's portfolio.

4 months ago

Looks like you have 2 Shem Phillips games! So that could work. I think for myself I've got a couple of sets:

If we did publishers it might be a bit easier to get sets - I've got 2 Stonemaier games, for example, but they have different designers.

Owner4 months ago

Great ideas! I really do want to have a play log based challenged to give ourselves a bit of a nudge haha. The first impressions challenge got me to try out #Lions of Lydia: A Strategic Game of Ancient Prestige last night

I also want to try and do a publisher or designer focused one. I was thinking some day, we could have an event where we'll highlight a specific publisher/designer by giving spotlight to their games on our all games page, do a partnered giveaway, interview someone behind their games, etc

4 months ago

oo yeah a "Designer Spotlight" could be a fun event, even a recurring event with all different designers. There are many great designers and I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear from them, and they might enjoy the attention given to their games!

4 months ago

earlier today I did a write up on a game for the weekly challenge, I made the specific post a "post an image" post, I included a photo and went to submit it and it gave me an error "no photo included" message. It would have been fine had it not deleted my 3-4 paragraphs of writing!! I have not tried again but I wanted to make you aware!@trentellingsen @philryuh

Owner4 months ago

Nooooo I hate it when that happens to me. Sorry about that Neal :(

Will see what might have triggered that error, thanks!

4 months ago

I realized what I did that caused the error. I selected "Create a Post", switched the type of post to an Image Post, then submitted an image with the Insert/edit image button in the text box rather than adding the image in the way the Image post wanted me to add it. I guess the issue is the deleting of the text when an error occurs since I caused the error through my own user error lol. 

4 months ago

No worries!! Is there a way to avoid that? Or to make so it saves the written content even if there is that error?

4 months ago

I guess until they sort out the bug, copy your text before submitting!

4 months ago

Ya I just wrote up my post on word first to make sure!

4 months ago

Haha, good idea. I usually do that for longer posts anyway, just because I like to leave it and come back to it a little bit later.

4 months ago

Ya I definitely need to make that a habit!

4 months ago

I loved the weekly challenge! I meant to participate in that--I even took a picture of mmy games! haha--but I didn't ever get around to posting it. Next time!

One idea for a challenge could be component art: make some sort of picture/image using game components. Just a thought.

EDIT: Also, a meme contest would be fun, as in we all make a board game related meme (not using one that already exists).

Owner4 months ago

I like those ideas, it'd be interesting to see what we come up with lol

4 months ago

I regularly use the historic low page. I have noticed the green lettering/tag "Historic Low" is gone, as well as some games, such as Glen More, having "unknown price" listed as their price. Is this an error on my side or did y'all remove the green tag?

I also have found issue with the clearance section as well. I could have sworn it used to filter out a majority of the stuff currently listed in the clearance section. For example Spirit Island for $55 isn't clearance, it's the normal price. I've tried just editing the URL (this is as far as my tech knowledge goes) to change the gt_discount filter to .90 and .01 just to see if it would do anything and saw no noticeable changes. Is this a user error?

Owner4 months ago

Looks like the "historic low" tag is broken. Will get that into the list! Will look into the issue with the clearance prices too, thanks.

Premium User4 months ago

I attempted to post an article to weekly challenge #1 and attach a photo.  

Two things:

1) I guess I attached the photo incorrectly?  It gave me an error saying so and then wiped out everything I had typed.  I didn't bother redoing it.

2) it would be great if we could attach multiple photos at once.

4 months ago

I had the same experience one your point number 1!

Premium User4 months ago

Bug brothers!

4 months ago

Definitely a board game title in the making!

Owner4 months ago

I experienced a bug too, but a different one :(

Will have to try tomorrow

Premium User4 months ago

It’s ok. You can be a bug brother too!

4 months ago

Us Bug Brothers are very inclusive!
Linked Topic