What did you play this week? (1/4/2021)

(1/4/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

LikeChristmas Like| 74 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

4 months ago

Bought #Gloomhaven after loving Jaws and I haven't played anything else all week except a game of #Watergate. Has been my favorite week of board games since I've picked up the hobby. Could not believe how much I actually enjoy playing the game, although it definitely helps living with 3 other people then rotate in and out while playing.

Premium User3 months ago

Did you finish JOTL then??

3 months ago

....Yes.....In a month.....

Premium User4 months ago

Lots of games played in the last week due to new games for Christmas and having the family around and willing to play a few:

• #Exploding Kittens with various expansions (Physical, Multiplayer): Played a game with all of the kids and three expansions.  The game is a good bit of light fun if you're in the mood for it.
  • #Cult Following (Physical, Multiplayer): Played another game of this one.  It's fun but one of the kids wasn't in to it which meant we gave it a round then let it go for the evening.
  • #878 Vikings: Invasions of England (TTS,Multiplayer): This is the second time I have played this game.  My partner and I played very well, didn't overextend, had a good presence on the island, and were ready to make a big push.  Then the English side got a disastrous set of cards (for us) and annihilated us.  It was literally the perfect storm.  It actually lowered my opinion of this game a bit.  I understand some unrealistic swingyness in a war game style board game but that was ridiculous!  At least it was over quickly.
  • #Race for the Galaxy with #Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm (Tabletopia, multiplayer) x2: This game is firmly a favourite of mine.  The group knows it now so it's easy to toss in a quick game or two when the viking invasion of england doesn't take as long as expected.  
  • #Celestia (Tabletopia, multiplayer) x2: This one is a fun little push your luck game with fun art and components in the physical game.  A good little time filler with those fun table laughs and groans you get when someone drops off early and the rest of the crew goes the distance. :)
  • #Marvel Champions: The Card Game (Physical, solo) x8: I had been eyeing this game for a while and have played it with my group on Tabletop Simulator. So I picked this one up post Christmas. I LOVE Marvel and comics.  I also love deck construction. I've played #Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game but for me Champions is much better.  I've been playing around with different decks trying to beat Klaw.  And yes, I've already ordered some expansions for it so I can do some more constructing.  :)
  • #Arctic Scavengers: Base Game + HQ + Recon (Physical, solo): Another new game from Santa.  I played the player made solo variant from BGG which is fine but I can tell this one is really going to shine multiplayer.  I love deck building games (along with deck construction games) but they need to have a twist and the skirmish is a great twist to this game.  (Reminiscant of the raiding in #Vikings Raid & Conquer Game.)
  • #Unstable Unicorns with various expansions (Physical, Multiplayer): Another game played with the kids.  The expansion doesn't really do much but add more cards.  The art is cute but we played with 3 but I don't think the table was in the mood for it so it fell flat this time.
  • #Underwater Cities (TTS, Multiplayer): Got a game in on TTS after my solo play of the game I got for Christmas.  I really enjoy this game!  The play is tight with 4 and you really have to work the action spots and the timing around them to build something up.  I won fairly handily with building diverse cities.  More play throughs are definitely needed!
  • #Starlink (Physical, Multiplayer) x2: One of my kids is heavy in to astronomy and they got this one for Christmas.  It's a fun little drawing game.  Fun for a bit of amusement on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Action packed week!  I think Marvel Champions is the biggest hit for me so far this year. :)

4 months ago

I had an old friend come out from Virginia so we got some lighter games played and it was a great time!

• #Karuba - Always an addicting and fun light weight game. People always want to get multiple plays in!
  • #The Quacks of Quedlinburg - Not much new to add here. I got the expansion but it was my friends first time playing so we played the first book...I have played that so many times so I am over it a littttle bit lol
  • #Wavelength - SOOOO much Wavelength was being played lol. It was for sure the hit of my Christmas Break. I borrowed it from a friend and it has been such a win. 
  • #Star Realms - I played mostly solo Star Realms but I played 2-3 games against a human and I have been loving it. It really is a perfect light deck builder!

Premium User4 months ago

The simplicity of base Star Realms is so great!

4 months ago

I have a couple other decks and they all seem to be just as simple, but add some new spice to the life of the game and I am here for it!

Premium User4 months ago

Excellent!

Premium User4 months ago

I'm not familiar with Karuba and have only seen Wavelength but the other two are definitely fun. :)

4 months ago

Karuba is seriously so so fun. It is very addicting. Can be played in like 30 minutes and it feels like strategic Bingo lol. 

Wavelength to me is the Codenames killer. So much more fun!

Premium User4 months ago

Karuba is incredibly addicting...it even says so on the box lol

4 months ago

Lol yes it does, but it is very accurate!

4 months ago

Got in a ton of gaming this week! Could have been more, but I'm very happy with the games we got out! 

#Captain Sonar - Got in two full plays of this in real time with 8 players. I definitely think it would play fine with 6 players as well. I really enjoyed it, I can definitely see how this depends a lot on who you play with, but our group of family was fun.

#Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - Played this with 8 players twice and then with 6 players twice and it was great all four times! Family had a lot of fun with this one.

#Love Letter (2019 Edition) - Fun! Played with 6 players and it did start to drag out a bit when almost everyone had won 2 rounds and you needed to win 3 to win the game. So overstayed it's welcome, especially since it was late and thought it would be faster (took maybe an hour or more?), but the gameplay is very simple and very fun.

#Boss Monster - Fun, fairly quick game. Not my copy, but played with 3 people for my first time ever and it is a fun, almost filler type game.

#The Reckoners - I really enjoyed this! First play through. This is a brother-in-laws copy. He got the full deluxe version during the last Kickstarter for the expansion. Played with 4 and we really enjoyed it. The simultaneous dice rolling combined with simultaneous resolution was perfect for me. I have discovered recently that I LOVE spending money IN games. Buying items from the shop was fun and super helpful. None of the items were week and we really had fun considering who should use them.

#Gloomhaven - this was played on Vassal with two brothers-in-law that I have been playing through this with. One of my most enjoyable plays as the Music Note.

Hoping to get solo plays of #A Feast for Odin and #Viscounts of the West Kingdom this week.

4 months ago

The Reckoners!  I loved that book series and the game looked sooo cool with a really high production value but at its price point I couldn't justify getting it not being 100% sure it would be a hit with my group.  Good to hear you thought it was good though. 

Premium User4 months ago

I think the 2019 version is the best version of Love Letter for sure.  We often just play until we have had enough and then anyone tied for most tokens wins.  

Boss Monster is more fun than II expected it to be when I first play it.  I don't know if I would eagerly ask to play it but I won't say no to a game!

Gloomhaven is awesome for sure.  Captain Sonar and Deception are both games I would like to play.  Glad to see you enjoyed them.

3 months ago

Oh man, I forgot I actually played #Captain Sonar before! That was super fun. I don't remember the name of my role, but I was supposed to listen to the other team's movements and record them. It was especially funny because at one point they were bickering about where to go haha. They confused and bamboozled me in the end though :P 

Premium User4 months ago

Got in a week's worth of gaming in one day! Played one game on New Year's Eve with my family, but nothing else until yesterday when I had a couple friends over, and we played all afternoon into the evening.

• #Mansions of Madness: Second Edition @ 5p - played on New Year's Eve with my family. My brother in law really wanted to play this, and we played. It was a fun time, but this is still just not my favorite type of game. My Dad joined us, which was fun!
  • #Dale of Merchants 1x @ 3p - first time playing at 3 players, and it works really well, especially if you use decks with a little more interaction. I played with my wife and our friend, and it was a really close game. Friend won the turn before I was about to, and my wife was also about to win. 8-7-7. He loved the game too!
  • #Orléans 1x @ 3p - again played with my wife and my friend. He maxed out the knowledge track and crushed us, lol
  • #War Chest 1x @ 2p - we wanted a quick game before dinner, so we played this out and just randomly dealt out units. I ended up winning fairly easily.
  • #Inis 1x @ 3p - got to show this to 2 friends, and they both really enjoyed it. This was only my 2nd time playing, and I liked it even more this time. I almost pulled out a victory, but they were able to stop me, and then one of them won the next round (after I missed my chance to stop him). Great game!

Premium User4 months ago

Wow!  Tons of gaming and all really good games. 

The only one I am not familiar with is Dale of Merchants.  What is that one like?

Premium User4 months ago

So it's a deck-building game that also involves "deck deconstruction", if that's a term I can use. Anthropomorphized animals are all trying to be the best merchant in the land, or something like that. You win by building your 8th stall, which you do by pulling cards out of your deck that are all from the same "animalfolk" deck. If you own all of the games in the series like I do, you have 27 total decks, from which you can mix and match to get the type of game you want, as they vary in terms of complexity, interaction, randomness, and nastiness. You only use players+1 decks in each game, so the number of combinations you have is huge.

has a nice video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGM2vb0ozM

Premium User4 months ago

Thanks!  I'll give that a watch later.

Premium User4 months ago

Also just finished a game of #Nippon on boardgamearena with and (docker won). Interesting game! I'm not sure yet if I had fun (hard to tell playing a game online), but I was definitely engaged in each turn. Lots of tough decisions, and there are clearly many legitimate paths to victory. Though, to be honest, for the first third of the game, I was kind of just clicking on stuff without really knowing what I was doing, haha.

4 months ago

I enjoyed the game even though I SUCKED at it lol. I agree that at first it was alot of just clicking around but the game is engaging and I understand it more after finishing up. Still am not sure on a good strategy but it was fun mechanically. 

Premium User4 months ago

Yeah, I mentioned to docker that I think next time I'd try to maximize my actions a bit more by taking advantage of the ability to do the action multiple times if you have the resources to do it. I rarely was able to do that in our game.

4 months ago

Definitely! If there are options to do multiple of the same thing you try everything to do that!

4 months ago

Nippon is an interesting game.  You really need to focus on the area control aspect of the regions though.  There is a ton of points to be had/lost there and that is one of the things I noticed this game as the only one to focus on getting influence in the regions. 

I didn't really start to enjoy Nippon until my 2nd game after I had a better understanding on what was going on.

Premium User4 months ago

Yeah I saw your message about that. I started doing it a bit more in the 2nd half of the game, but I didn't really know how it worked for the first few rounds, haha. I definitely would focus more there in future plays. I also think I would try to bunch up my actions a bit moreb most actions allow you to do something multiple times if you have the resources for it, and I was rarely able to take advantage of that, so I think maximizing turns that way would help too.