Prediction for 2021 Board Game of the Year

As the year comes to a close, the lists of all the best board games released in 2021 lists are going to start coming out.

What are your predictions for the top five games of the year?

here are a few games you see people talking about - #Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile, #Unfathomable, #Furnace, #Hadrian's Wall, #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine, #Kabuto Sumo, #Cubitos, #Dinosaur World, #Tiny Epic Pirates, #Dune: House Secrets. Do you think any will make the cut?

Look at the current list of 2021 games by popularity - https://www.boardgameatlas.com/popular?skip=0&lt_year_published=2022&gt_year_published=2020

LoveStarLike| 13 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

32 days ago

Top 5 according to who? Right now my favorite is #Magnate: The First City but I've got a lot of games still to play. From what I've heard #Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile might be the most important game of the year, but I've still got to play it. #Furnace will be on a lot of lists but perhaps because of it's broad appeal more than anything exciting it does. But I bet #Sleeping Gods probably wins overall if it gets in enough list-makers people's hands. Gotta play that one too but I don't remember the last time I heard a game described by so many as a "masterpiece".

32 days ago

RE: According to Who

The board game community and its content creators. All the people that put out the "best 10 games of the year" type of lists. And then thinking about the key board game awards. I would have said whoever you think is going to win the Spiel des Jahres, but recently that has become more about general games and the real action tends to be whoever the Kennerspiel des Jahres ( #Paleo, #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine, #Wingspan, etc).

I feel like your rationale is on the right track.

Moderator Level 132 days ago

Sleeping Gods is a good pick. Epic story based game with great art and components.

Partner29 days ago

That's my pick so far!  Easily my #1 game of the year, #Sleeping Gods especially enjoying the expansion content. I am ready to go through my fourth campaign! 

Moderator Level 128 days ago

Wow, four campaigns?? I guess there's enough content in there to keep it fresh several times through, huh?

Partner20 days ago

I'm back from a little family time, sorry so slow in responding! 

Yes, the beauty of Sleeping Gods is in how much content there is. I've played 2 1/3 campaigns so far, and have seen maybe 10-20% of the same stuff (mostly the first map or two).  And yet, after about 45 hours of playing, I'll bet I haven't seen 1/3 to 1/2 of the content available. (Caveat: I do have the expansion, too). 

If we did a fourth campaign, we've already committed to heading off to different areas of the world to see what else is out there. It's like playing an open world video game where you can geaux and do whatever you want! 

Moderator Level 119 days ago

That is awesome. Campaign games don't appeal to me or my wife in general, but this would have to be at the top of the list if we ever have the itch for something like that.

32 days ago

I forgot about #Sleeping Gods, such a good game. I think that is the type of game that will be a consistent in the top five for everyone making a list if it doesn't take top spots.

32 days ago

I am basing this on how I feel content creators in the community are going to make their lists. They like buzz, they like complexity and they like finding that diamond in the rough - 

1. #Furnace
  2. #Cascadia
  3. #Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile
  4. #Hadrian's Wall
  5. #Sleeping Gods

I would say that The Crew sequel makes it, but people dont like to include sequels on their best of lists.

I'm guessing that #Cascadia and #Furnace are going to be on quite a few lists. I could see #Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile being on a lot of lists as well, but that doesn't quite have the broad appeal that a lot of these games do. Another one could be #Bullet♥︎ - I remember seeing a lot of praise for that this year.

32 days ago

Bullet, good one. I havne't played but everyone does have nice things to say.

I agree that #Cascadia seems like it is the clear cut winner based on the buzz out there, but I don't think it is outside the box enough to be the game that all the content creators put at the top of their list. People try to really tout innivation, and Cascadia seems like an amazing version of something we have seen before.

Yeah, you may be right about that. I could see Cascadia being #2 or #3 on a lot of lists but not #1 for that reason.

New User27 days ago

Given Covid has kept me away from the game group (that should change in the new year), it would be crazy of me to put a top 5 in, given I've basically not gamed in the year, excepting a very small few solo / multi-handed solo games.

However I will mention the game that has given me the most enjoyment in seeing it from formative stages to now arriving on people's doorsteps. Not a game for me, nor one I expect I will ever play, but the Coraquest journey has been wonderful to watch, with the enthusiasm of young gamers coming through strongly in the images I've seen shared. Add to that, with Cora herself going from being rather shy, to being confident speaking on national television! 

The future of gaming is bright.