1775: Rebellion (Economic and Garrison Variant)

Supporter
Game Design

Maybe we should do a weekly Variant Discussion thread? (@philryuh).  (@Courageous Bob, tell me what you think, having not actually played the game haha).

1775: Rebellion Economic Variant

For this Variant Players will need to balance their finances when deploying troops and “garrisoning” armies.

Economic Rules

1. At the beginning of the game the American Continental Army and British Regulars  start with 10 silver and the Patriot Militia and Loyalist Militia start with 8 silver.

2. During the reinforcement stage you must spend 1 sliver for each army you bring in (up to 4 total).

3. You may skip a reinforcement stage to gain 3 silver (you may not exceed 10 silver per faction).

4. If you have no silver you must skip the reinforcement step

5. All fled troops are deployed without using silver

Garrison Rules

1. At the beginning of a factions turn they pay 1 silver for any areas where they have 4+ troops unites

2. Garrison cost is ignored if you control the colony

Like| 13 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

5 months ago

Looks like a nice variant that would slip into the game without too much trouble. I would guess that tactical side of it would be trying to time it so that you have a lot of money at a time when your opponent doesn't and then attacking hard in the knowledge that they won't be able to reinforce properly for a couple of turns.

5 months ago

Will be interested to hear how it plays when you get the chance. Also, if you came up with a political aspect to the game would love to hear about it.

Supporter5 months ago

The best variants are solo variants. All other ones I really struggle with. 

Supporter5 months ago

I remember that.  I don't tend to use too many, but I do really enjoy them if I think they'll add to the game.

Supporter5 months ago

I sure like economic games and I can't see as this variant would in any way break 1775 but I also don't know that it is necessary. Having an economic aspect in a 2 player game where each player controls two factions, maybe that would be fun.

In a proper 4 player game though, there's a certain joy in seeing the choices your teammate makes and how you can basically advise on strategy but can't actually control how your partner fights their part of the war. What I mean by that is that I don't think adding an economic layer helps that aspect of the game.

Supporter5 months ago

Oh it definitely doesn't need it but I think it could be fun.  I actually have only played it as 2P game I would love to do 4P.  Although I do think the economics would come into a lot of the team discussion interaction since they can move the other troops with them, so the Patriot Militia can also move American Continental Army so if we are looking at how much money the Continental Army has we may choose to move knowing that when the Continental Army's turn comes up they need to spend less on reinforcements or skip their reinforcement turn all together.

Supporter5 months ago

Having virtually no idea of how the game works, and only going for historical flavor... I think that actual difference in the amount spent between the rebels and the empire was a bit more than that. I could be way wrong, but that's what I think. 

5 months ago

Between the UK and USA you would be right, but if you factor in France, the revolutionary side actually outspent the UK significantly. France basically bankrolled the USA to fight the war as otherwise it would have quickly bankrupted the American Congress

Supporter5 months ago

That is true, but I also think that would balance the game heavily in the British favor unless you added even more rules.

Supporter5 months ago

I thought that might be the case. 

Supporter5 months ago

It's more about simulating the fact that war costs money more than historical accuracy.

Supporter5 months ago

Makes sense 

Supporter5 months ago

Linked Games
1775: Rebellion