First off, I just wanted to thank every one of you for your support. It's already been 2 years and phewwww, you all made it so much easier to go through! We're looking forward to what's to come in 2021 and I hope that you'll enjoy all of the new things we have in store. Lastly, it's been one weird 2020 and I hope you're all doing okay, especially those who've been having a hard time with periods of social isolation.
Along with the pre-emptive Happy New Year! I wanted to share a couple of things you can expect to see in the upcoming weeks:
- House cleanup - There's been recent issues raised around where we get our data. I addressed some of the misunderstandings and our mistakes within that thread and @trentellingsen and I cleared out any possible sources of questionable material. We also consulted a lawyer so that we're clear on everything. Thanks for being patient and understanding throughout all of this. Trent also launched the "Bounty List" so that we can encourage everyone to fill in the missing info on game pages
- Speed Improvement - Our website is too slow! There are times when it's decent but it can feel like looking at that sloth from Zooptopia. Trent's working on speeding things up so you should notice the difference in the next couple of days
- Fixing BGG Import - Trent has tried fixing this several times but syncing this 100% has been problematic. He's honing in on the issues and will get it worked out
- UX/UI Improvement - We'll be continuing to work on visual updates on all of our main pages so that everything feels cohesive. Along with this, we're working on making the site more intuitive and simple to use and easy to access info you want. We're mostly working through lots of great feedback we got from a reddit thread filled with former BGP users who found BGA lacking as a replacement
- Price Features - In addition to sorting out bugs related to international prices, we'll be working on the Deals page. It currently feels like a page full of mediocre games. We'll likely add additional sections such as "daily deals/price drops" or "lowest in the last 6 months" so that you won't miss out on great games on sale just because it doesn't fall under one of the categories (clearance, under $20, historically lowest price)
- Finding Upcoming Kickstarter Games - There's a page on Kickstarter that features upcoming games. We'll be adding a section on our Kickstarter page to highlight these games. I'd also like to include some sort of a voting system so that we can our community's most anticipated games
- Forum Threaded Discussion - Some of our threaded discussions go so long that it gets hard to read. We'll be working on a solution for this. Addressing the need for game specific threads likely won't come until our community has grown much bigger
- Review Page - We'll be working on the review section for the game page. That page is severely outdated and here are some things I'd like to see: all user-based metrics (score, rank, strategy complexity rating, rule learning complexity, some of the other metrics you all have suggested, being able to mark a user review as "helpful" so that you can sort by helpfulness, highlighting top most liked review content shared on the forum, list of awards, etc)
There are more that we'll be working on but I wanted to highlight the main ones we're focusing on for the upcoming 1-2 months! Hope you'll like the change and let us know in the comments which of these you're looking forward to the most. And feel free to suggest other items you'd love to see.