updated 20 days ago | posted 14 months ago
2 | 11 comments | report | Confirm you want to report this post.| subscribe
JamesReid860 Supporter14 months ago
Good list of games!
Marshwiggle92 Supporter14 months ago
I like this list pretty well. I really like your rant at the end. I do think that is something we sometimes lose sight of. That being said, I do think that the 9th or 10th game that somebody buys should be solidly Midweight. They can do a little bit of research and pick a game they think they might like, based on what they know. That game could be Scythe, or Castles of Burgandy, or Agricola, or..... But it is good to have something a little bit more complex in your collection just like it is good to have a party game in your collection.
WadeB1977 Premium User14 months ago
I think I'd go a different route if someone asked me to help them start a board game collection and they were new to gaming. These aren't my top games but for starting a collection I'd recommend:
10. Azul & Splendor (different enough to recommend both and I think they stay in most collections)
8. Stone Age (a great intro to worker placement)
7. BANG! The Bullet (simple social deduction without too many details)...Betrayal at Baldur's Gate for a game that might stay in the collection longer or Secret Hitler)
6. Pandemic (great starting co-op)
5. Dominion (Deck building basics and one to build off of)
4. 7 Wonders (card drafting and slight civ building without too much complexity)
3. Ethnos (A little area control and a little card play combined but easy to learn and tends toward replayability)
2. Heaven & Ale (A euro game that's not too heavy to engage but has long-term playability)
1. Castles of Mad King Ludwig (Another good entry game that's simple to learn and has staying power in a collection)
There are of course other directions to go but the games I listed are games that have lasted in my collection for years and I don't feel are simply 'currently popular'. If a more advanced gamer (one who played a lot but hadn't started a collection came asking what 10 to buy first I might go (1. Wingspan, Gloomhaven, Scythe, Robinson Crusoe, Terraforming Mars, Viticulture, Anachrony, Heaven & Ale, Tapestry, Castles of Mad King Ludwig)
I look forward to making my own list after I watch this.
Skurvy5 Supporter14 months ago
Looking forward to it! And we should probably make a new thread for it.
Sliddell11 14 months ago
I really like this list a lot!
3MBG 14 months ago
not bad :)
I haven't made a list. But, I do think that your list is, generally speaking, a pretty good guide. Two things I would change are :
I would lose the social deduction part of the list. I find that they can be really fun, but I don't think they are one of the games you "should" start with.
Stone age is hard to get. I would probably get architects of the west kingdom, or viticulture.
Personalizing the list to the person is always a good idea.
This is a place to post video reviews, skits, vlogs or any other video related posts.
We talk about board games here. Games like Codenames, Catan, Root, and all your favorites. Posts can link directly to games and everyone is welcome to join the discussion.