Games I Played in 2019

Supporter

So Trent made a fun addition onto your personal "games played" page and I thought it'd be fun to see each others shared. Here's mine! (looks like I forgot to log a few in).

If you want to take a look at yours, go to https://www.boardgameatlas.com/u/plays. You can also find it by going to "Play Logs" on the top banner and clicking on "Your Plays". I just used the snipping tool and saved as a PNG file so that I could share with you all, but I think it'd be great if Trent added a share button, either for your social media, email, or making a post on the forum.

Edit: What was your most played game of the year?

Like| 37 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter11 months ago

This is a really awesome feature. I’ll try to find some time today to get my plays entered in. 

11 months ago

Oohhhhh Pax Pamir 2E...a beautiful game that gets a lot of praise...but I just don't understand. What were your thoughts on it Phil?

Supporter11 months ago

What did you think of Pax Pamir 2e?

11 months ago

Saw this after I commented lol. Definitely the most intriguing on the list!

Supporter11 months ago

Definitely the one I'm most interested in. 

Supporter11 months ago

@Marshwiggle92 @nealkfrank

@oly probably has the most plays on this out of everyone else on the forum (40 plays), so ask away if you have any questions haha.

As for my personal take on it, I've only had one play so it's a bit hard for me to judge how I'd feel about the game after 1-2 more plays. But these were my first impressions that I shared in another thread:

It's my second game designed by Cole (first was Root, my favorite game to date). Here are some of my impressions after my first play (still want to give it another try some day since we got one of the rules wrong and it made the game end earlier by a few turns):

• I can see why everyone raves about the components. Great attention to detail down to the visuals and even the texture of the materials
  • It was the highest complexity level our group has ever tackled, so I'm sure that adds to it, but I felt that the rulebook was hard to follow. A lot of the rules went wooosh--mostly because I couldn't grasp the purpose behind everything.
  • I can usually get the "point" of a game after a few turns, or at least learn the consequences behind the actions that I make in a turn (without too much delay in time), but with this, I felt like I was in a fog most of the time where I was taking moves while having no idea where I am headed--and I'm guessing it has more to do with my lack of experience with games in this genre. I'm sure a second play will help a lot with this.
  • Since this is my second game by Cole, one commonality I could see with Root was that Cole seems to be great at producing complex games with elegance--in comparison to the deep nature of the two games, they both have surprisingly few components to work with. In the case of Pax Pamir 2nd Ed., it's impressive to see how a designer can pack so much depth into a game that has so little footprint and components.
  • My very very humble guess is that a second playthrough will not change my mind about this game. I have high respect for what it is but it doesn't seem to align with my preferences. It's definitely a game with a more limited audience that can fully appreciate what it is and I can see it being their game of the year. For me though, I'd prefer playing Root every time (not that it's of a similar nature, but it's what I'd want to play given the choice between the two).
  • To add to this, after reading through the design diaries and a recent link shared by @Marshwiggle92, I could see how I'll end up enjoying a lot of the Pax Pamir 2e-like elements in the upcoming Oath game.

11 months ago

Thanks for the detailed response! You hit on a lot of what has made the game hard me to fully grasp. The rules are straight forward, but the impact of your actions is so unclear unless you play multiple times in the span of a a day or two. I love the blocks, I love the woven mat and I wish I understood the game more, but I just cannot justify getting a game like this. My group would not be down.

11 months ago

It's quite complex and unless you've played 1e or other Pax games the fog will take a few games to lift, though of the Pax games this one is much better at making the game state clear. Having an experience player teach the rules and look after the rules details makes the game much better for new people. I'd recommend if you are going at it again Phil, try find someone like this. But yeah, if you didn't enjoy the first one, I think it's not likely you'll suddenly love it enough to justify the rules overhead the second time.

Funny enough I found Root really hard to figure out the game state. As everyone was asymmetrical it was tough to know how close everyone was to winning. In my one play with newbs the usual thing happened, we neglected to kick the vagabond and they won, but we had no idea until it was too late.

Supporter11 months ago

That's funny, and it's definitely true that a lot of players new to Root will be pretty lost for a big portion of the first game. I remember feeling similarly about the Vagabond--when we played with four players for the first time, @trentellingsen was the Vagabond and I also had trouble gauging where he was at. Just seems like a pretty harmless dude on the map going around minding its own business but can rack up VP all of a sudden.

It does seem like it will be tough to get another good play in for Pax. Mostly because we have so many other good games to get to and it's definitely outside of the ideal complexity range for some people in our group.

Supporter11 months ago

Very nice reply. How many did you play with? 

Supporter11 months ago

It was with three--@trentellingsen, his wife, and me! 

Supporter11 months ago

Really cool!  I probably will have to edit my response a bit because I didn't start logging plays until recently, and only started using the site back in August.  This is what my report says though...

1. IA Heart of the Empire (3) Edit (IA 10)

2. Clans of Caledonia (3) Edit (4)

3. Tiny Epic Zombies (3) Edit (7)

4. Viticulture (3) Edit (10) Edit (With and without Tuscany)

5. Root (2) Edit (10)

So really it's Root, IA, Viticulture, TEZ, Clans

Supporter11 months ago

Alright! Look at all those IA plays!

Supporter11 months ago

It's great that you can play your top games so often :)

I'm hoping that Anna (my wife) will like Root so that it'll finally start getting to the table more. Still really down to try out Clans of Caledonia. And I'm sure @Skurvy5 will be proud of you lol

Supporter11 months ago

Clans of Caledonia is less than $40 on Amazon, an excellent deal for anyone looking: boardgameprices

Supporter11 months ago

Good price!  I think I paid $47

Supporter11 months ago

@Skurvy5 better be.  I didn't even get a response to my Star Wars quote in his win post.  What's up with that? Haha

Supporter11 months ago

I’m sorry guys. I’ve had a really busy couple of days. I didn’t get home from work until 11pm on Tuesday. And I was off yesterday and today but I’ve got a ton going on right now. 

Supporter11 months ago

I get that, I haven't gotten to the site all day.

Supporter11 months ago

I hear you. It is a busy time right now for me as well. 

Supporter11 months ago

I know, I was waiting for a response too! I think he's in too much of a dilemma trying to choose his giveaway prize :D

Supporter11 months ago

Yes my brain is absolutely stuck on trying to pick something. 

11 months ago

That's awesome! Here are my top 5:

1. Century: Golem Edition (15)
  2. Wingspan (13)
  3. Everdell (10)
  4. Kingdomino (10)
  5. Evolution: Climate (9)

Supporter11 months ago

I think I remember seeing your comment on that "Last 5" post that Everdell is your favorite. What are some other top worker placement games for you and what makes Everdell stand out?

11 months ago

Well the only other one I've played so far is Lords of Waterdeep. That one is a lot of fun as well, and it was easy to learn. I bought Everdell for the theme and the art (not to mention the high praise it received), and the fact that it seemed well suited for 2 players, since that's my most common player count.

Supporter11 months ago

I like the animal theme, just makes it more approachable/welcoming to introduce to my wife. What's the interaction between players like in Everdell?

11 months ago

Pretty minimal, to be honest. I know you're looking for more player interaction but there's not a ton in this one. It's a worker placement game, and those generally have less of it, in my understanding.

You can take worker placement spots that other players want, so that's sort of indirect interaction. There are a couple cards that offer interaction, but the majority do not. The nice thing is the cards that do offer it are all positive interactions, except for one.

Supporter11 months ago

Cool tool. 

11 months ago

I think my most played was either Catan or One Night Werewolf. I play most board games with students since I work at a University and that is what they like to play the most.

However, outside of that group I’ve probably played Roll for the Galaxy the most. One of my all time favorite games that I have yet to own.

Supporter11 months ago

Most plays of 2019, so far:

Twenty One 27

Qwixx: Das Duell 26

Hex Roller 12

Throne and the Grail 9

Traxx 7

Wingspan 7

Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra 6

Jackpot Yahtzee 6

The River 6

Noch Mal 5