Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on September 27, 2020)

Supporter

Here's the info for the next round of giveaway! The prize will be a $60 gift card from a board game store of your choice. This is different from our usual prize where the winner selected a board game up to $60 in value.

Starts: Monday, September 14
Ends: Sunday, September 27

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:
  • Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Add/edit info on a game page
Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

And as always, which game would you get if you were to win?

Like| 113 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

2 months ago

Spirit Island!

2 months ago

Great choice!

2 months ago

I will definitely get #Betrayal Legacy or #Wingspan for my team as we really want to try out how the legacy games works and we also want to try the classic game Wingspan as well.

2 months ago

If it were me, I'd go#Wingspan. I didn't enjoy#Betrayal at House on the Hill so I personally have no interest in the legacy version. And of course with everything going on it would be much easier to get Wingspan to the table. Not to mention there's another expansion coming out later this year!

2 months ago

I would highly recommend #Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 if you are interested in legacy games for the group.

2 months ago

I have own Pandemic and Pandemic OTB, that's why I am not really sure if I should get legacy game from Pandemic Legacy but I saw gameplay about Betrayal Legacy and feels likeit is pretty interesting since I don't have a copy of Betrayal at the House yet.

2 months ago

I think if you enjoy Pandemic you will have a great time with pandemic Legacy, while it is based on the game it is definitely it's own glorious thing. The game changes so much and makes you so invested in what's going on. 

I haven't played betrayal legacy, so can't really compare them, but I have played betrayal base game and while it is a lot of fun I am not convinced it is as good a foundation for a legacy game. That said they might have done amazing things with it so if it vibes with you then go for it!

2 months ago

#Betrayal Legacy is the only legacy game I've played that the group lost interest in after one play. We got the rules slightly wrong, everyone had a boring time and there's been no interest whatsoever in starting up again. It's more a group problem than a game problem and I'm sure you'll enjoy it - just keep an eye on the rules!

Supporter2 months ago

Those both sound like great choices. The nice thing about#Wingspan is that it can also be played at 1 and 2 players as well which, depending on your group, would make it easier to get to the table if you just have one other person.

2 months ago

Thanks for the giveaway!

Supporter2 months ago

You're welcome! Any particular game you'd love to get if you won?

2 months ago

#Trickerion and #The Battle of Five Armies are both on my radar. 

2 months ago

#The Battle of Five Armies does look pretty cool, do you think you'll prefer it over #War of the Ring (Second Edition)?

2 months ago

You're actually making me question whether this is the game I'd get first haha. I already found #Trickerion on a good deal recently and snagged it, because it was my most desired game (I'm a sucker for MindClash games).

So I'm updating the game I would get to either

#The Reckoners Board Game,

#Cerebria: The Inside World, or

#Food Chain Magnate

Thanks for making me think about this, Bob:)

2 months ago

Haha, I do aim to sow confusion wherever I go, but nice find with trickerion! I've only played FCM out of that list and enjoyed it a lot, although just be prepared that it can be brutal. Which I know was off putting to one person at the table.

2 months ago

My vote is for #Food Chain Magnate! My insert just came in today and I'm stoked to use it 

2 months ago

Is the game as good as everyone suggests, in your opinion?

2 months ago

So full disclosure, I received the game about 2 weeks ago and played it 4 times now. I tend to fall into the camp of wanting to play/falling in love with the latest game I got so there might be some bias. I would have far more plays if my fiancé were more willing to play games in general lol.

That out of the way, I think the game is amazing. It's basically a sandbox game where you're free to do whatever you want. Of course there are timing considerations when it comes to the milestones so you have to pay attention to what your opponents are doing. My only knocks against the game are:

1) it has a runaway loser problem. I lost a game against my friend I want to say $417 to $35. There was absolutely nothing I could do all game to even remotely compete. I've heard some people can get discouraged when this happens (and rightfully so) but I personally just wanted to play again immediately after to come up with a better strategy.

2) the set up is long and it's such a table hog. Hence the need for my insert. I'm hopeful it will eliminate this negative for me

Overall I'd say if you're remotely interested in it get it 100% When I pulled the trigger I figured at the very least I could try it a couple times and resell it for most of what I spent

2 months ago

From what I've read, I suspect I'll prefer #War of the Ring (Second Edition) because it's more grand-scheme strategy whereas #The Battle of Five Armies is more skirmish battles. Thematically, War of the Ring is supposed to be stronger as well. I would still like Battle of Five Armies becuase it's another highly rated LotR game, and I love the lore, but War of the Ring will be very hard to beat.

2 months ago

Yeah, I have only played WotR, but my impression is that it feels more like the books. BotFA seems to be more combat focused and there is more nuance (and fiddliness) to how the combat plays out. So I think if you were in to that then it might be the better pick but WotR is more about the grand plans with more straightforward combat (which can be swingy). I adore WotR though, and found that while there is luck in it, you roll so many dice over the course of the game that it feels like it balances out

Supporter2 months ago

Do you own any games from Mindclash so far? I'm most interested in Trickerion and Anachrony.

2 months ago

Yeah I have Anachrony and it's really beautiful. I just backed #Perseverance: Castaway Chronicles as well. I like their style of games and the artwork is always really nice.

2 months ago

Have you tried Anachrony solo? I'm considering it as a solo game, and the solo mode is very well regarded.

2 months ago

I haven't, as I never really play solo:/

Supporter2 months ago

Phil, you are a wonder, I didn't really like the look of #Pendulum, but you make it look pretty sharp.

If I were too win again, I might put it towards a preorder of #The Great Zimbabwe.

Supporter2 months ago

Hahahah thank you :)

Good lighting always helps make something look good even though I'm not particularly skilled with taking pictures. The game does look better in person though, and so does #Tapestry.

Are you thinking of playing #The Great Zimbabwe with a group? Or is there a great solo variant for it?

Supporter2 months ago

I would probably leave it in Kansas, and try to play it when I go back for business or vacation. Besides, I don't expect to live here the rest of my life, and I am likely to move back before it will be reprinted yet again. So, mostly it would be getting it while the getting is good.

2 months ago

A photography competition could be a cool challenge

2 months ago

Mechs vs Minions baby...or I would be tempted to get some fancy game trayz and some fancy coins...maybe a life sized signed cardboard cutout of

2 months ago

I've been wanting to give #Aeon's End a try for a while now! #Spirit Island is another one I have on my radar too.