Metal Coins

Supporter
Yes(5 votes) 83%
No(1 vote) 17%

6 votes

So I was thinking about the fact that I would really like some Metal Coins for a few of my games... one thing that I thought of was picking up #Scythe: Metal Coins and using them for a few of my games... #Viticulture: Essential Edition, #Clans of Caledonia, and #Pax Pamir (Second Edition).  Has anyone considered this?  What do you think?  Would you do it?  Why or why not?

So... Yes (it's a great way to affordably upgrade multiple games)

No (you gotta get the stuff that goes with the game to make it shine, pun intended)

Like| 25 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

3 months ago

Coins that look like coins but feel like poker chips seem like the best of both worlds to me :)

Supporter3 months ago

Mine will be arriving soon and these are suppoesd to be stackable :D

3 months ago

Which coins are those?

Supporter3 months ago

They're for #Clans of Caledonia!

3 months ago

Ah nice!

3 months ago

oh they look neat!

Supporter3 months ago

Yes they do :)

Do you happen to have any metal coins? Any favorites?

2 months ago

not (yet)

Supporter2 months ago

I have GameKnight chips, and they have nice coin-like designs (in a wide variety of denominations) but feel like poker chips (and fit in poker chip racks).

Supporter3 months ago

I have considered it. I've not done it. I think I would prefer specific coins for games. If I would go with something general for all games I would probably get a good set of poker chips. Or I would buy 1-5 pounds of foreign coins on ebay. You might have to look a little bit to see which country you think would fit your desires the best.

3 months ago

I haven't purchased any, but IMO the ones made for Viticulture fit pretty well with many games.

Supporter2 months ago

Yeah these look awesome and I've considered them as well.  I figured though, there might not be enough for Clans and Scythe.

Supporter3 months ago

It's costly, but unless it's a generic product I'd rather get the one that's made for the game haha. My #Clans of Caledonia coins should be arriving a week or two from now so I'll make sure to share about my experience! (and I also have #Pax Pamir (Second Edition) coins coming in October-ish)

Supporter2 months ago

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  I think if I do end up picking up some I'm going to start with the Scythe coins.  I just don't have the budget to do a lot of upgrades and it feels like I could really get a lot of the Scythe coins because I'd be able to use them for 4 games.

Supporter3 months ago

I go back and forth on this. I have a standard set of premium components that I can use for a lot of games. That works great when I am at home, but not so great when travelling. I have many games where I bought the deluxe edition that came with metal coins, and a few games, where I liked it enough where I wanted that specific set (like Lords of Waterdeep and Roll Player). 

For my general coins, I use these (I have the 1, 5, 10, and a small number of 50s) https://thebrokentoken.com/pirate-doubloons-tiny-15mm-piecepack

For deluxe resources I use these: https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/token-bundle-for-scythe . Well not those so much as I have the original box sets from the Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/treasure-chest-realistic-resource-tokens-for-board. They also did some additional boxes later that I picked up that have a wider variety of resources.

This is a question that I continually struggle with though. Resources per game or general sets. For me, it depends if I totally want to bling out a specific game or not.

Supporter3 months ago

I was just cleaning out my game room and doing some rearranging, so I was able to get a picture of what I have gathered as my 'gaming bits' set.

Supporter3 months ago

As a counterpoint, here is #Lords of Waterdeep. After playing this with my friend, he bought it, and was severly disappointed with what he got, because it was not this.

Supporter2 months ago

I feel bad for your friend lol

Do you have these by the way? I've seen pictures of them before and thought they're so fun :D

Supporter2 months ago

I have the plastic version. The wood looks a lot better, but I don't think I'll replace mine. Or... maybe I will and give my plastic ones to my friend. Hmmm....

Supporter2 months ago

#Lords of Waterdeep: Character Meeple - Wizard 

https://www.boardgameatlas.com/game/axOr9uuOwN/accessories

BGA has Meeple Source listings too, in case you're in the market for meeples.

Supporter2 months ago

And this is what happens if you are a crazy person who jumps down a rabbit hole. Custom coins, meeples, and then I painted the whole set as well as 3d printed and painted boxes, a center factory tile, and encounter tokens.

So ultimately, I voted 'yes' on your poll. It is so much easier and more affordable just to do one set of coins. :)

2 months ago

A rabbit hole, but a pretty rabbit hole!

Supporter2 months ago

This is a lot of nice stuff, wish I could afford all that bling.

Supporter2 months ago

This is beautiful.