What did you play this week? (10/11/2021)

(10/11/2021) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

Like| 25 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

3 days ago

Got my normal group back together and got 3 games in

1) #Khôra: Rise of an Empire - Got crushed (97 to 68, 67) but such a fun experience.  Winner had an engine that gave a bunch of points for all of the politcs cards played (5pts * 8 cards). 

2) #Nidavellir - Crushed again as the guys seemed to take immense pleasure in taking the cards for my strategy.  Lost 293, 277 and 227.  Still had fun in our first play.  After all the first rule of gaming groups: "Win if you can, but if not make sure Kyle doesn't". 

3) #Kingdomino w/ #Kingdomino: Age of Giants expansion.  The expansion is great.  Takes an extra min for rules explaination.  I didn't score great in any single category but did score a little in each category and sneaked out a victory 76, 75 to 70.

Premium User3 days ago

I like the expansion for the cool little box for the tiles and it allowed 5 players which was important when I was playing it in the office during lunch.  

I also discovered due to someone else on this site that you can fit the base game in the age of giants box which is nice.

3 days ago

That was probably me who said that as I have everything in the expansion box.  

Premium User3 days ago

Probably was!  Thanks for the advice!

5 days ago

2 games of #Undaunted: Normandy as I taught it to a new friend and we did Scenario 1 and Scenario 3.  Pretty light week but things are starting to calm down now that both of my boys are wrapping up football for the year.  Should help to get me back into my regular routine.

Premium User5 days ago

The sports are great but they can be quite disruptive can't they?

Premium User5 days ago

One more play than the week before is good, right?

#Nemo's War (Second Edition) - Hadn't played this in awhile so I broke it out to give it another try. I wasn't a huge fan of the randomness associated with all the die rolls and felt I had very few ways to mitigate them. At the end of the day, it's a fun game, but I don't think it's one I would necessarily reach for if I was looking for something to solo. Likely will add this to the trade pile.

#Kahuna - My friend wanted to play this again so we played on BGA. I actually scored a point this time! Fun game.

#Mercado de Lisboa - As I posted about the other day, Sarah and I have basically given up on our 10 x 5. We pretty much know what games we like from it and which we are getting rid of. More importantly, giving up opens up the possibility to play unplayed games. I gave Sarah some game options and this is what she landed on. We had a close game, but I don't think there's anything particularly great about this game. It's got some small interaction to it in that you're trying to share some customers, but at 2 it was pretty easy to stay out of each other's way. I want to give it a few more plays at higher counts to see if that changes anything.

#Furnace - This arrived from Miniature Market a few days ago and I have been super excited to give it a try. Sarah and I played last night with my brother and man was it a tight game. We didn't exactly play the way the rulebook recommended for your first game. We used the capitalist cards (Sarah actually forgot about her's the first round but still won) but did our production phases one at a time vs simultaneously. I think not doing that simultaneously was good for a round or 2 just to get a feel for how to play, but after that, I was barely paying attention to what they were up to. It made the game drag a bit which would be my only downside after the first play.

Premium User5 days ago

Ha! Cool to see that you are enjoying Kahuna. That is a neat game. Too bad about Nemo's War...that seems like a pretty cool solo game, but I do tend to enjoy dice-based games less than other types.

Premium User5 days ago

Yeah it being so cheap makes me ALMOST want to put it on my wishlist for Secret Santa purposes this year. Sarah can't hate it if I don't buy it myself, right? Lol.

As for Nemo's War, don't get me wrong it is really fun. It's just a lot to set up just to roll a bunch of dice in my opinion.

Premium User5 days ago

Got it, that makes sense! Yeah setup time is really important to me for a solo game. Basically the only one I've done more than once is #Baseball Highlights: 2045 because the setup is so simple. And thanks again to you for that!

Premium User5 days ago

You're welcome! I've had Baseball Highlights on my wishlist ever since you told me about it lol. I recently heard about a game called #BasketBoss which at least sounds similar just with a basketball theme as opposed to baseball. It's getting a reprint at some mysterious time in the future and I'm definitely going to pick that one up.

Premium User4 days ago

Oh cool! Yeah come to think of it I haven't seen any other basketball themed games so that could be interesting!

Partner5 days ago

Another solid week of gaming, here are the highlights! 

#Four Gardens - played this three or four times with three different groups! Each play of this game gets better. I love how the physicality of the game is crticial, not just show pieces. The movement of the tower, the space in your storage, the layout of the cards, the push and pull on the tracks -- it's all super important! As much as I have loved my plays, I'm not sure I would ever want to play with someone with AP!

#Abandon All Artichokes - played this live on the stream, so it was a quick teach and away we went!  I had no expectations other than as a potential end-of-the-night-at-a-con game, and that's exactly what it is. I could see this supplementing No Thanks! or For Sale or Silver or Point Salad any of those small box card games we like to play when winding down after a big game. 

#Thurn and Taxis - I played this a dozen times online during the first part of the pandemic, and loved every single play. So then the search began to find my own copy. Man, it's not easy! But I finally found a copy with the Power & Glory expansion in the box. First time on the table -- I forgot how much Yucata manages everything. It's not fiddly, but there are some adjacency rules that need to be watched carefully. It was a great first play on the table, and I want to get the expansion out next. 

#Bullet♥︎ - this is probably our most played physical game this year. We just can't get enough and all we have is the base game. Can't wait to try the expansions. 

#PARKS - second play in the past couple of weeks, and while I SHOULD love this game, I just find it doesn't fire me up at all. Can't put my finger on it because I love the artwork, love the Tokaido mechanic, love the tiny little enginge building in other games, why not Parks? Who knows? It just doesn't speak to me, I guess. 

#Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale - haven't played this one without the expansions in a while! It was fun to get it back to the table, and we taught three new players. The monsters left us alone for the most part, so there was some high scoring (by other people, not me!) as I recall.  Great little randowriter, made better by the Heroes expansion if you can get it. 

Premium User5 days ago

I'm about 3/4 of the way through a Parks game and yeah, it feels really meh to me as well.  Like really meh.

I am have the kickstarter for Cartographer's coming at some point and I can't wait for it!  Fun little game.

3 days ago

I really like Parks but can see where people can get the meh feeling. It is a lot more AP inducing then you might assume based on the theme and mechanics.  I find it grows on me the more I play it as the strategy comes to life.

I thought about backing Cartographers but I have the app and that's all i really need.  My groups tend to not play a bunch of Roll/Flip N writes so didn't think it would get to the table enough to justify. 

Premium User3 days ago

Fair enough on Cartographers.  I play it a lot solo so it's worth it to me.  

For Parks I generally find that style of game play pretty bland so it's not likely going to work for me.  The one game of that style I have played and enjoyed is #Naramata but it's a pretty unknown game.  (Happens to be about an area in my province and by someone in my province so I had to kick start it. :) )

3 days ago

That's cool about the game from your area.  I found I got bored with #tokiadio pretty quickly due to the constant path locations.  The changing path in Parks keeps my interest a lot longer

Premium User5 days ago

Good week!

• #Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (BGA):  Had a decent game but I think this is one where you really need to study the board state more and I tend to play games on board game arena fast and loose.
  • #Marvel Champions: The Card Game (TTS) x2:  We finally managed to beat Ronan in our second game and we had to cheat a bit by allowing players to put the purchased upgrades in to play at the start.  It shows you how hard it is to balance these things because we didn't have a lot of upgrades but they took it from extremely difficult to doable and a lot more fun. 
  • #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine (TTS). Another good session as we close in on mission 50.
  • #Streets (Physical) x3:  Got the Kickstarter in and played it a couple of times solo and once with 4 players. I like it!  It's quick but fun with a good amount of thinking required and a fast teach. Glad I got it!
  • #Viticulture: Essential Edition (BGA):  Finished another one. Didn't get card luck and didn't do super well. However...
  • #Viticulture: Essential Edition &#Tuscany: Essential Edition (physical):  I had another game in person with Tuscany and a full 6 player count!  It's true what they say, this game is way better with the Tuscany board full stop. It gives you options to smooth out the game and is just generally a lot better. Hopefully BGA gets an implementation soon!
  • #The Castles of Burgundy (BGA):  Another fun game of this classic.
  • #Take 5 + Take a Number (BGA): I saw a game of this nearly full and popped in. Still not great on BGA. Much better in person to see the reactions of everyone.
  • #Magic Maze (physical) x3:  Filler game we played at the beginning and end of the night. It's an ok game that has some fun moments but doesn't super wow me. 

Good week!

Premium User5 days ago

• #Santorini 4x @ 2p w/ my brother in law. We were on a trip with my sister and her husband, so he and I played a few games. Got this one played 4 times, which I loved.
  • #War Chest 2x @ 2p - also with my brother in law. We actually played 4 times on the trip, but 2 of those were reported in the previous week's post. I love this game. It feels like there's so much to explore in terms of unit synergies, bag management, and spatial tactics. We played a couple of games with #War Chest: Nobility and a couple with #War Chest: Siege
  • #Gold West 1x @ 3p - finished up yet another play of this on BoardGameArena with and with Bob taking the victory. I think this was our closest match yet! This is a really interesting game. I'm glad to have played it online, because I think I will not be buying it to play in person, as my primary opponent would be my wife, who I suspect would not enjoy it. I am happy to keep playing it online though, as I quite enjoy it. There are lots of different strategies to explore, and the fact that Boomtown is different each time helps mix it up as well.

Partner5 days ago

We used to play War Chest a lot (I even demoed it for AEG at BGG CON one year) but have yet to try the expansions. Which one would you geaux for first? 

Premium User5 days ago

Nobility 100%. Both are great, but Nobility adds flexibility to the Royal Coin in the form of Proclamations (I think that's what they're called) - basically once per game actions. It's a small tweak but it opens up a ton of new strategy IMO. There are also 4 new units with each expansion, and they're pretty cool.

Siege is very cool too, but definitely more of a "if you have played a bunch and want even more stuff" type of expansion. It adds Siege Weapons, which have tactics that are only available if the unit is bolstered. It also adds Fortifications, which make locations you control harder to attack/control for your opponent.

Partner4 days ago

Nobility it is! Thanks for the tip. 

Premium User4 days ago

Hope you enjoy it!

4 days ago

I played quite a few games this last week:

• #Ethnos - my wife said she'd rather play Ticket to Ride once we finished, so it may not last in my collection, but I thought it was pretty fun, but didn't love it, but it is a solid game that fits a nice spot in a collection, just not sure it will stay in ours if we'd play #Ticket to Ride: Europe instead.
  • #Architects of the West Kingdom - taught my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, they aren't huge gamers but do occasionally enjoy a game and they thought it was ok. I just love this game for some reason.
  • #Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - taught my in laws and it was a hit. Played 3 games of it in a row and went over better than I thought it would! This is one that gets played quite a bit in our collection.
  • #Kingdomino - played for the first time. Ended up playing several times and am impressed by the decision space for such a short game. May be a filler we actually play. Taught kids to play as well with lightly modified rule set where they didn't have to do the 5x5 grid and they had a blast.
  • #Dragonwood - taught my daughter, niece and nephew and it took about an hour, but holy cow it held their attention. Also were some tears when someone didn't get the dragon and someone else, but good life lessons and good time together.

#Too Many Bones just showed up as did #Anachrony so I'm looking to get some solo play in this week!

•  

Premium User3 days ago

Teaching Architects to casual gamers seems like a pretty good step! I'd love to try that one some day. Did you back the expansion?