Feedback Friday! (2020-01-10)

Supporter
BGA

For those who are new, this is a weekly post where you can share your praises/complaints/wish features for our forum, game pages, content, etc. So, have at it and let us know your thoughts!

Also, several questions I have for you all are:

• How do you feel about the picture/gif commenting that got added recently?--I personally love it and will be adding in some of the pictures you've been posting if it's appropriate for the respective game pages (if it hasn't been done already).
  • How do you feel about the pinned "What Did You Play This Week" post? This is the first week we've tried this so I wanted to see if you liked it or not. Are there other weekly posts you'd like to see pinned? "Game Trade Thursday" is one that comes to mind.although it will likely see much less traction (at the same time, it won't see traction since it gets buried pretty quickly. Also, keep in mind that this post is a stopgap until Trent implements a marketplace feature)

27 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

7 months ago

I just noticed something: I was using the Historical Low filtering, and the filters look like checkboxes, but are actually radios. It threw me off a bit.

7 months ago

Another idea I just thought of that may not be possible because of how the forum is set up already. Right now, upvotes push replies up to the top, what if the most recent response pushes that string to the top?

When I see a topic has been recently active but has 50 or 100 plus comments, it's hard to find the newest response without scrolling and looking at each one's time stamp.

Maybe a filter button could be added to do that?

7 months ago

I really like the picture and Gifs addition. I'll try to keep my gif replies to a minimum ;p

I think the what did you play this week post is the best one to pin. I don't think the trade thread gets a lot of traffic. Not sure if it's because it isn't pinned, but I think a separate place on the site would be better than the forum. Not sure if a trade system or marketplace is in the works or not, but that would be ideal.

Supporter7 months ago

I imagine @trentellingsen will be adding a dedicated marketplace during Q1 (that's my hope at least haha)

Supporter7 months ago

I really enjoy seeing the pics. 

I like the pointed post.

Ya'll are doing great. 

Supporter7 months ago

Thanks! :)

Supporter7 months ago

I really enjoy the new improvements.  One thing I'm wondering about.  I find about once or twice a week when I want to look into new forum posts there are about 10 - 20 posts from one user or another with a game review.  It feels like it bogs down the whole forum.  Is there a way to do a reviews post once or twice a week to post video reviews/print reviews/links etc.?

I totally get if there is a reason for leaving it the way it is though.

Supporter7 months ago

I really appreciate the slow posting of the three minute board game videos. And, I think he gets more traffic from them. I generally watch them when he posts. I almost never watch those that get posted en masse. 

Supporter7 months ago

Exactly, thank you.  I always watch 3MB because they are few and far between.  When the forum is flooded I just skip all the reviews.

Supporter7 months ago

Hahaha yes, it happens every now and then and I've been thinking about what would be a good solution. Will be bringing it up to @trentellingsen today. It's interesting because it's a mixture of different intents:

• I can completely understand a content creator wanting to upload all of his/her content to our database, especially if they've been around for a while and want to catch-up by attaching all of their reviews with the respective game pages.
  • It's also beneficial for us since our game pages can get more valuable, and if we place a limitation on number of posts you can make, that will limit the growth rate.
  • At the same time, it's not the best for our forum community since it gets really hard to see the new posts that you'd be interested in (that's why I've been trying to bring up/upvote some of them that get buried.
  • My current thoughts for solutions are either (1) have some sort of way to filter them out (which I can't think of a good way to do that at the moment) or (2) I'd like to place a daily limit but allow a way for users to post without limit on a topic page without flooding the forum page view (like posting a private folder of some sort).

7 months ago

Maybe when creating a post there is a mandatory selection you have to make in order to show the type of post that it is? Something like the flair or topic, but a required selection...

Supporter7 months ago

Trent's been thinking of something along that line too, basically to make it a requirement for all posts to fall into a topic or at least a "General" topic.

7 months ago

Yeah I think that will be nice for sorting through all the posts.

7 months ago

I kind of like everything getting posted into the same forum, so there is one constant stream. But in order to avoid mass drop posting, it may be better to split the forum into different sections. Maybe the general forum is the default and everything with a Tag gets dropped into the respective Topics 

For the site to grow, you can't restrict posting of any kind except for spam, harassment, etc. 

removed

Comment deleted.

7 months ago

Yeah, it’s nice to see everything. I think the required field just helps sort when looking for something in particular and to avoid the 3-5 posts someone puts out at once.

7 months ago

I also like the pictures! Great addition.

”played this week” is great. I do think trade Thursday should be pinned since I never see it really, but maybe only for a few days so it doesn’t clog things up.

Supporter7 months ago

Ohhh that's a good idea, to pin it for maybe 2-3 days or so for people who are interested to get sorted out.

Edit: Also, I'll probably stop pinning it either when (1) Trent adds in a feature for us to follow topic pages, where users who are interested in trade could follow some sort of "Trades" topic page or (2) when Trent implements the marketplace.

7 months ago

WOW.

those two things would be HUUUGE

Supporter7 months ago

When we expand the follow feature to cover topics, we might consider having another option for viewing the forum where it will be your personal feed of the content around games, users, and topics you've followed.

7 months ago

That would be super cool. Essentially like a Facebook or insta feed I’m assuming but with games?

Supporter7 months ago

It's not something we've put too much thought into yet (and don't know if we'll end up implementing it) but yes! It'd be basically another filtering option for the forum where it displays your own unique feed of content that's most relevant/desirable for you (content linked to users/topics/games you follow).

7 months ago

When searching for games within the deals section, there is an issue with the filter option for ascending/descending. When opening the filter window to sort by price, the drop down box does not stay open to select ascending.

hopefully that makes sense haha 

Supporter7 months ago

@trentellignsen I think I've run into a similar issue before haha

7 months ago

In regards to to searching and filtering, it might also be cool to type in a specific price you’re looking for instead of only ranges. #budget lol

Supporter7 months ago

Lol. That option is available in the "advanced search" if you click on it at the bottom of the site (look at the first column under "Find Games". Now, I'd also prefer having that option available without having to go there (I thought the same thing just a few days ago)

7 months ago

You just blew my mind. Haha thanks!

Linked Topic